Beneficial bug with Spugnoir's familiar

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nyarlathotep, Apr 18, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Strange, I never experienced that... Unless offcourse it's the weakest member of your party, enemies tend to go primarily for the weakest link. Anyhow, if you want to give him some more ac, try enchanting it with Barkskin, Cats Grace and Mage Armour.

Also did a quick test to see how General Ghoul's suggestion works out. Pretty well, I guess, though the bat is totally useless in melee combat: it has no attack :dizzy:

[​IMG]

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The owl in bear form is UNBEARABLY cute! heh heh couldn't resist. :p

3. EyesOfAsia

EyesOfAsia Member

4. sirchet

My wife made me watch that video a while back, those two are inseparable.

I think nyarlathotep may have created a new type of player character.

We have pc and npc ... what are we to call this type, an apc?

5. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

This has to be the most fun bug ever. Anyone else remember the Space Hamster rpg spin off TSR did (probably late 80s)? Remember reading of the existence of 'burrows and bunnies' or similar too!
    Am I right in thinking that spellcaster-class APCs can't cast spells because they can't speak? What abt druids with wild-spell feats? Just read in the PH that Raven familiars get to speak one language, though I guess this isn't implemented in ToEE. Am going to look up animal stat blocks in Monster Manual- I definitely need an APC or two in my next party

6. Nightcanon

So according to MM1, prefered options for APCs would seem to be:
    Owl
    Str 4 Dex 17 Con 10 Int 2 Wis 14 Cha 4 HD D8 Attacks 1
    Hawk
    Str 6 Dex 17 Con 10 Int 2 Wis 14 Cha 6 HD D8 Attacks 1
    Cat
    Str 3 Dex 15 Con 10 Int 2 Wis 12 Cha 4 HD 1/2 D8 Attacks 3

Further questions:
    Do they acrue hit points as per class progression (ie D10 for a Barbarian)?
    Do they suffer XP penalties for multiclassing?

7. nyarlathotep

They do indeed get the class HD and they are perfect multiclassers ( no xp penalties)

The base HP are half the HP of its original caster, as per the rules of D&D, though the hawk had 7HP initially, which is weird, as all of my "farm-PC's" have 12 HP.

8. nyarlathotep

After a fair bit of grinding, I can show you the screenshots of the raw stats for the hawk, raven, rat & lizard.

Hawk:
    [​IMG]

Raven:
    [​IMG]

Rat:
    [​IMG]

Lizard:
    [​IMG]

9. nyarlathotep

Well, my Owl-druid knows how to make Ioun-stones know, and it's so far the only object which seems to work on my animal-NPC's.

Also, I LOOOOOVE the spell Animal Growth... no need to dominate the Dire Bear when you can emulate it with this spell :p
    Yes, my Brown bear Animal compagnon is humonguous, and my cat now really looks like a wolf...

[​IMG]

As you see, I've put my main fighter in front of my hulking bear, so you get an idea of size...

They're all lvl 10 (except for the freshly rescued Paida, offcourse) and it seems to me that the create wondrous item feat has made my party a tiny bit overpowered...

10. Nightcanon

Hi Animal Lovers
    I am still intermittently playing my way through NC7.3.3 with my party that contains 4 PCs and 3 NPCs (Cat Brb/Rog, Owl Druid, and Ronald). In my recent wanderings I have met the Elven Maiden who wishes to reward me for the rescue of Sir Juffer and Princess Tilahi (sp?). Following this encounter, my animal PCs disappear- they are still on my row of portraits at the bottom of the screen (and I think I can access their inventories), but their models disappear and they don't appear in the initiative order in combat. The first time this happened, I was still seeig their little blue circles when I moved the whole party.
    It does seem to be linked with the Elves somehow- I had a save that was immediately prior to the journey on which we met that I went back to, teleported to the temple, had a bit of a dungeon crawl and teleported back to Hommlet. Next time I walked out, met the Elves and the same happened.
    Has anyone else had the same issues?
    To be honest my thoughts are turning to 7.4 so the main interest in finishing this run through is seeing out Ronald's personal side quest and getting
    the Balors rather than Iuz
    in Deities and Demigods. Various other things are a little buggy: I haven't been able to meet Wilfrick in Verbo and I can't get into Falrinth's tunnels either. I suppose I could teleport everwhere as I'm not short of spells (the only non-caster in my group is Tiddles aka The Gray Mouser) but I was hoping to bump into the Men in Tights at some point.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  11. sirchet

Tilddles the gray mouser!

Priceless!!

12. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

The Grey Mouser was a mage/thief or a mage fighter, depending on who you ask. So why does your mouser have no spells?

13. Nightcanon

If I remember correctly, he also wasn't an actual cat. Wizard, sorceror and fighter are all unavailable in any case. He's not supposed to be a faithful reproduction, it's just the nickname occured to me as moderately amusing (according to the game engine, his name is Cat Familiar).
    Anyway, it's academic, as being given rewards by roaming Elven Maidens (!!) seems to iron out whatever glitch allows him to function as a character.

14. nyarlathotep

Well,I never encountered that bug as one of my characters slipped over a bananapeel, lost its sword and that unfortunately sliced off the heads of miss juffer and company...

15. silo25

silo25 Established Member

just created a certain barbarian and hamster (weasel) and i scream out during attacks "go for the eyes"

Our Host!