Beginning help-shop map

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Winkle, Jun 12, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Winkle

Winkle Member

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question. This is my first time w/ KOTB. There was a note in the FAQ which answered the question: "I started playing, but how do I get off the Shopmap?..."

Answer: By talking to someone. Unfortunately, I can't seem to talk to any of the 3 people. I click "talk" and click on one of the guys, but a red circle appears and nothing happens. I'm obviously doing (or not doing) something very stupid. Any help?

Thanks.

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Just left-click on the NPC you want to talk to and make sure it's not
    one of your characters.

3. Winkle

Winkle Member

Left clicking doesn't work.

4. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

restart? - It's only the shopmap.

5. Winkle

Winkle Member

Restarted, reloaded KOTB and the patch. Everything works, except I can't talk to anyone. Very sad--I want to see what everyone's been raving about. I bet it's something dumb like having a caps lock on or something... just can't figure it out. Alas.

6. Winkle

Winkle Member

Sorry-- one more attempt:

There's been a lot of warnings about using the TOEE portrait pack. I never de-activated anything--just used the ones given in the start-up. Was there a way to specifically turn off the portraits that I was missing?

Thanks.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The portraits would have to be actively put in, they don't go in by defaulkt, so no, I don't tihnk thats your problem.

Dunno what to say :scratchhe You could just bypass the starting guys, but if your game is already screwing up then its probably going to cause problems later... You haven't got any sort of weird characters in your party that you've hacked yourself, or PCs with ridiculous stats, or consoled items or anything out of the ordinary?

Anyways, to bypass the shopmap, go to the north of the middle cart and select "concentrated search" from your INVENTORY part of your radial menu (not the normal search facility), and keep doing that til you find a ladder off the map. If you don't have a search option, then even the heartbeats aren't running and your game is in real trouble.

8. Winkle

Winkle Member

Thanks for the help, Ted--still no luck.

I haven't modified anything--just installed TOEE, patch 2, windowsNet, KotB, Patch1.03. Alas, I'd been looking forward to playing since forever (had to wait until graduation or I wouldn't have graduated).

I'm not sure if this matters, but the middle trader is armorless. I've tried attacking--as soon as I do he starts wearing armor. I have the search option but couldn't find the door. Sad, sad day.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Are you launching the game via the KotB Front End Utility? It almost sounds like you're playing regular ToEE with the KotB patch applied overtop or something like that.

10. Winkle

Winkle Member

Yeah--I'm definitely launching through the KotB front end. I'm trying a total reinstall of everything (TOEE, patch2, KotB, patch)--hopefully it'll work. I can't wait to see what you guys and gals have done!

11. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Just in case, install patch 1, and then patch 2 and everything else. just in case.

12. Winkle

Winkle Member

I'm in, I'm in! Thanks everyone for the help. I reinstalled everything from the beginning.

Just in case anyone else has/will have a similar problem: when I clicked KotB FE for the first time, something came up that said something like 'can't run, bc/there were two data files, one "data" the other "dataKotB"' The first time, I might have deleted one of them. This time, I copied all of dataKotB into the other one. Not sure if this was the problem. Anyway, off to my adventure....

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I wouldn't get too excited yet - you've just created another ToEE/KotB amalgamation. Heartache will surely follow. :(

What procedure are you using to install all this stuff exactly, and excatly what errors are you encountering? There shouldn't really be any problems like this if you're doing everything right.

14. Winkle

Winkle Member

Oy.

I installed TOEE, patch 1, patch 2, KotB, KotBpatch1.03.

I've been able to run TOEE w/ all of your mods in the past. Everything initially worked fine w/the KotB startup--I made characters but when I got to the opening trading scene, I couldn't talk to anyone (and the middle trader wasn't wearing anything). This time, the middle trader was clothed and I was able to talk. I just purchased some stuff. Trying now to search for the "secret door."

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The 'two data files' scenario might be due to improper patching (that is, the adding of the 1.03 patch). However, if you also have a data.co8_5 folder, you should get away with copying them across as you have done (otherwise, you added KotB to ToEE as Gaear said and you have many horrors to follow). Hope it works! :)

Our Host!