Been Thinking About New Movies Again

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Aug 5, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I don't suppose it's something we're likely to ever get to the bottom of, because the reports and conditions are generally just too nebulous.

Re: the no-cd crack, it occurs to me that the opening cinematic is copy protected. I wonder if the secure-rom check thingie could have anything to do with that as relates to the crashes?

The Borox workaround is really nothing more than what Toffee does when you choose to disable intro movies. It's a legitimate workaround, but it's unfortunate that you'd have to simply shitcan the movies in order to go on.

I also wonder about things like resolution and color depth, etc. For example, I normally use 16 bit color on my system, and in ToEE as well, but I'm pretty sure that ToEE wants to play the movies in 32 bit color. Whenever a movie comes along, there's always a second delay for me when the screen goes blank while it's internally switching the settings. Maybe that's happening for some other people as well, and for whatever reason their systems can't recover. Who knows?

Another possibility is supported monitor resolutions. Bink videos are capable of being made to some rather unconventional dimensions (and in fact most of the ToEE movies are this way), so it could be that some people's monitors can't deal with them.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I doubt it would be monitor related to be honest. Unless newer monitors are unable to handle resolutions my hamster driven CRT can that is. Possible I guess if that's so.

Not certain about the copy protection in the opening movies - the copy protection on ToEE is actually whether or not the original disk is present and it checks for that long before the opening credits roll. But it's as good an idea as any atm.

Does disable intro movies also disable internal movies? Never used it to be honest so don't know.

It's going to be something user specific of course, but knowing what makes it crash enables us to write easy how-to guides. But I'd never consider resolution etc as I'd assumed ToEE when loaded forced its on needs upon the PC regardless of how you'd set up the PC. And that doesn't change until its config file is changed whether manually or via the internal game options.

Much to ponder on I guess.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No, just the intro movies.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Right, wonder whether that's an option to suggest for Agetian for the front-end? I mean, it would be very much safer than telling computer novices how to rename files.... :zap:

At least until we get to the bottom of this bug and find a definitive fix or solution.

Our Host!