Been mucking about with the editor, adding dialogue...

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sapper_Astro, Oct 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

And I have a question.

When you are putting in new text for convo's, do any of the () thingies after the text allow an overhead floating text ingame? Like the Fallout Combat taunts if you get what I mean...

If this is possible, we might be able to add some more flavour in battles, where creatures throw some taunts around in text. This may also work for NPC banter as well, if anyone remembers the Fallout 2 commentary coming from your companions.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Try using the command:

attachee.float_line(x,triggerer)

This will cause line number x to hang around as a floater. It may be a bit intrusive to use in combat constantly though: you should already see it when u first take a new NPC into battle, or when one of your NPCs gets killed. (Get Fruella to join, then murder her, u will see what I mean).

3. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Yes, but then you suggest this for everything.

;)

4. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

Yes...After my initial tests, it seems to be doable. I will script an encounter with some Gobbos and see how it goes. I will leave the party alone and focus on the monsters.

Is there a timer somewhere? I am guessing such comments can be timed to hang about for so long and then bugger off yes?

Also, is there a way to randomise the floating text? As in Goblin 1 runs up to the attack 'Die Human Scumbag!' another goblin attacks, says nothing. Another goblin further down the order attacks 'Rarrrgghhh!!'.

I will have to look into this more and see if a pool of comments can be given to a certain faction or race. It seems I can give it to an individual ie Smigmal Redhand. so:

Ogres can make Ogrelike commentary, Bugbear commentary, etc. If I can get it working, it seems like it may only take a lot of time, not so much a lot of skill.....as long as I can find out exactly how to do it of course:scratchhe

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I suggest floating texts for just about everything too ;)

Randomised floating texts can be implemented with the following scripts (lifted from KotB, where they already appear in multiple places).

Random response comment (triggered by clicking on the NPC, fires lines numbered 1-12):
    Code:
    def san_dialog( attachee, triggerer ):
    	randy1 = game.random_range(1,12)
    	attachee.float_line(randy1,triggerer)
    	return SKIP_DEFAULT
    Random unsolicited comment (2 in 17 chance of being triggered by a passing PC, checks each heartbeat. Not too intrusive but you wouldn't want to add vocals to this. Line numbers 900-912):
    Code:
    def san_heartbeat( attachee, triggerer ):
    	randy1 = game.random_range(1,17)
    	randy2 = game.random_range(900,912)
    	if (not game.combat_is_active()):
    		for obj in game.obj_list_vicinity(attachee.location,OLC_PC):
    			if (is_safe_to_talk(attachee,obj)):
    				if randy1 >= 16:
    					attachee.float_line(randy2,triggerer)
    	return RUN_DEFAULT

Our Host!