Become Famous! Write An Area Description

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Aug 31, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

We need area descriptions for Verbobonc, Hickory Branch, and Welkwood Bog. (See this thread for specific talk of the area descriptions mod.)

Obviously, the three areas listed above are not original module material, so there are no descriptions to take from the module (which is what we're doing with most of the others). What does this involve, you ask, and who is eligible?

1. Anyone who has a reasonable command of the English language may submit a description. All submissions will be subject to editing by me.
    2. A description should be in the neighborhood of 150 - 250 words long.
    3. An area description should attempt to describe both the geographical features of the area and it's more figurative aspects - what players feel when they go there, etc.
    Here is a description of the Moathouse from the module:

And here is a description I wrote for Emridy Meadows (since surprisingly it is never mentioned in the module):

Easy!

So if you're so inclined, submit your descriptions for Verbobonc, Hickory Branch, and Welkwood Bog here and the winners shall appear in the game in the area descriptions mod. If you don't know much about any of these locations, simply do a forum search for their names and you'll turn up threads discussing them in detail. Some very basic descriptive guidelines are that Verbobonc is a city, Hickory Branch, is a dry, arid 'devastated community area,' and Welkwood Bog is a bog.

Good luck. :)

2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Just to be nitpicky..

Imho, you should avoid to describe what you can already see and focus in feelings and atmosphere.

For example:

It's quite redundant, you can already see that on the map. That kind of literal description could/should be shortened, is meant to pnp.
    But:

It's absolutely perfect. That's pure rpging description, you're givin feeling and sensations to add to what players can see :clap:
    (btw, i see some typos, but i'm not sure if they're typos at all... i guess i'm not the right guy to look at that :p )
    That kind of description, makes players be suspicious even from the sword close to the giant ;) (and dammit, i've been intrigued by that since always)

Seriously, this could be great. Emridy Meadows should be eerie...but it looks like the park next my house :p Lots of places could take advantage of this :yes:

3. Gaear

Thanks for the input HK.

I think you have a valid point, but my main objective there is fidelity to the PnP module, so that people don't think we're taking it too far off track and 'making it our own.' :shrug: Thus I don't want to take too many liberties if it can be avoided.

Regardless, it can always be amended later if we want to. :)

I agree - Emridy Meadows has kind of a lackluster look. Just a big lawn with a few rocks, really. It could be better, and as I think of it there's no reason we couldn't liven it up graphically ourselves. :yes: Good thinking HK.

4. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

It might help if you post the first (main) map of each area, plus a list of [likely] monsters etc.

That way, we can write descriptions with elements of foreshadowing instead of *just* a written description of the map...or at least maybe a link to the best thread for each area.

--thearioch

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Easy enough to add some fog patches - maybe one near the start, one near Rainbow rock.

Some spooky sounds too... not weird music (imho) it should be silent. Imagine the park next door, as you say, but after a serial killer had butchered 28 virgins there: same quiet pleasant-looking place, but every snapping twig and animal noise would make you jump.

Hence add snapping twigs, rattling chains, distant noises etc.

6. Gaear

@thearioch - your wish is my command. ;)

Hickory Branch and Welkwood Bog discussion: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5972

Verbobonc discussion (this seems to be the largest verbo-thread): http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3454&highlight=verbobonc

~

At Verbobonc, you might expect to encounter Drow, spiders, scarlet brotherhood types, minions of Hextor types, gnomes, etc. The first things you'll see are city guards.

At Hickory Branch, you might expect to encounter orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, kobolds, gnolls, and various wild animals. The first things you'll see are a pack of orcs I think.

At Welkwood, you might expect to encounter goblins and kobolds mainly. No idea yet what you might see there first.

~

Pictures of Verbobonc, Hickory, and Welkwood (WIP) 'first on the scene' areas respectively below.

@Ted - That's a damn good idea about silence at Emridy Meadows. When players are used to hearing music everywhere, I bet the sudden absence of it might subconsciously tell them "something's wrong." I think we shall implement that. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Or how about "Atmospheres" from the soundtrack of "2001, A Space Odyssey". Sounds like the wind, kind of creepy.

The pics look GREAT!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  8. GuardianAngel82

Okay, here goes, for Hickory Branch:

As you pass along the Low Road, you notice a trail, almost hidden by the trees, that heads off to the northwest. You decide to investigate... after a mile or so, the trail widens into a clearing.

The first thing that strikes you is the smell. Rotting meat, feces, death and decay, a pungent miasma of odors drifts in the breeze. Gnawed bones lie scattered about, some of them of men. It seems that many dangerous animals live here. You hear a wolf's low moan beyond the trees. Senses alert, you creep forward... fear dogging your every step.

Then you spy the litter. Discarded tools, broken weapons and armor, ill-kept before they were cast aside... creatures, barely more than animals, have made this foul area their home. This is not a place for you.

Before you can withdraw, there's a cry of rage... you've been discovered!

Casting aside their knitting, the Circle of 8 attacks...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  9. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Humm... i was suggesting not to change or add description, but to avoid the literal description.
    There's no need for a long text that explains what it's already on the screen.
    Just to make it clear:
    "A scrub of thorns, thistles, weeds, and shrubs grows thickly along the edge of the track which leads to the Moathouse ruins"...i can already see that, there's no need to extra text ;)

Oi, i meant about the descriptions, not actually a change in graphics LOL :p
    In any case, i always thougth that Emridy needed a bit of enhancement :yes:
    Graphically, i'm thinking in something more eerie than scary... maybe a few more bones or armors, covered with some kind of Ivy or the like...even butterflies, would look really...hum...melancholic. Rain? Fog? Something sad...

Indeed, silence will work really good. Sometimes the sound goes out in the temple, and the steps of the charcters sound ominous. :yes:

Visceral :blink:
    Personally, i like it. The kind of description my players would love. :gotmyatte
    For ToEE i would add a bit more "epicism", Gaear's style in the first post (emridy) looks quite good. It is mysterious, and has that goofyness all rpgs need :p

10. Gaear

Well the module tends to be very specific about what the intended descriptions are for the player, and that's a part of it, so ... taking it out would be going contrary to the module.

The fog could be quite effective, as Ted suggested.

Re: GA82's description, I would avoid including plot aspects in it. ("You notice a trail ...") There are a variety of reasons that players could be going to these places, so neutrality would be best in that regard. I like the descriptive parts though. :thumbsup:

11. GuardianAngel82

Okay so:

As our little band of weary travellers trudge dejectedly torwards nowhere on the road to their doom, Dweedlemeyer the Mighty espies an opening through the Horse Chestnuts. And through the opening, a Buxom Elven Maiden (technically, sort of rare).

"Horse Chestnuts! Check out those chestnuts!", he cried hoarsely. "Stand back as I ready my trusty lance!"

"More like a toothpick, if you ask me.", quipped Falderol the Sarcastic, But Somewhat Effiminate.

"Hot Damn! Fresh Meat!" sighed the shy Elven Maiden. "Bring it On, Bitches! Form a line on the right. Five at a time, please."

And the battle of Hickory Branch began...

12. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

This one is a submission for Welkwood Bog. :)

------

The odor of the bog struck you long before your first glimpse. The pungent smell of sodden, decayed wood and corpulent mosses are thick in the still air of the Welkwood. A carpet of green stretches through the valley floor under a perpetually gray and brooding sky. The blackened husks of suffocated trees line the bog floor, their broken and jagged trunks stretch like fingers to the unmerciful heavens in futile supplication. Leeching the last drop of life and sustenance from the trees are thick, ropy vines that spread from the trees in twitching, purple clusters.
    The water of the bog is an unhealthy brown; opaque enough to hide the secrets its shallow waters have swallowed. The waters of the Welkwood can sustain only the most adaptive and cunning creatures. The carpet of peat and sphagnum rests mostly undisturbed, but sinister ripples and small waves occasionally disturb the stillness of the waters, as if something moves beneath.

13. GuardianAngel82

Gaear, is the kind of thing you want essentially this kind of thing:

In other words, just atmosphere and description?

Everyone ought to take a shot at this...10,000 monkeys on 10,000 keyboards for 10,000 years...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  14. Gaear

Yeah, those both sound pretty good guys. :thumbsup: :)

15. GuardianAngel82

Feel free to desecrate, abuse and butcher; I mean edit. Use what you want.

"I can make it longer, if you like the style. I can change it 'round cause I want to be a paperback writer. Paperback Writer!"

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
Our Host!