Basic Change Didn't Work... What Am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by ChainsawXIV, Sep 2, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. ChainsawXIV

ChainsawXIV Member

Hey there, this seems like a basic sort of issue, but I didn't see it... anywhere. I made a small change to a single monster in the proto file, and when I hop into the game and fight the critter in question the change isn't in effect. I can't figure out why, but hopefully some of you good folks can tell this noob what he's screwed up.

The full details:

I've been playing through the game unmodified up to this point and came to an encounter with Galeb Duhr (little earth elemental things), which are unaccountably difficult thanks to their damage reduction, which I come to find out is 15/-. Suffice it to say, spending 30 rounds in combat with each of these is no fun.

I wanted to fix this without making any sweeping changes to the game, so I read a bunch of the information here, and edited their DR down to a more reasonable level in the proto file. But low and behold, when I load up my game and have a whack at them, they're just as bad as ever...

My process was:

1. Extracted the dat file as noted in one of the tutorial threads, to get my baseline.
    2. Set up a data/rules folder in the game directory and copied protos.tab into it.
    3. Used ProtoEditor (World Builder wouldn't run for me) to edit the value and save.
    4. Loaded up the game and tested out the change...

Any thoughts or advice?
    Thanks. :)

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

are you playing vanillia ToEE or a Co8 patch?

3. ChainsawXIV

ChainsawXIV Member

Vanilla. Although I certainly get the impression I'm missing out, I'd rather not start the game over just yet, heh.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well if the protos you edited (and remembered to save) is in (ToEE root folder)/data/rules then I can't for the life of me think what you might be doing wrong - unless you edited the wrong part of the protos.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The Galeb Duhr from the original vanilla game are setup as mob files for the Map17-earth-node map.

[EDIT]
    This means they are made from the original protos entry and the information is in the mob files that is prior to your protos changes. You will have to make new mob files as replacements for them on that map, i.e., delete the original Galeb Duhr mob files and use your replacement mob files. (Do not change the x,y coordinates and be careful of what you click...review the original settings.)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Oh yah, you can install Microsoft dotNET version 2 redistributable, and try ToEEWB.

Our Host!