Bard Bug

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by MB, Jun 16, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. MB

MB Member

This is my first post and haven't seen this posted before so thought I'd add it to the list of bugs...

Human Male NG Bard 3rd level with 6 ranks in Perform Skill does not have the inspire competence bardic ability. Also does bardic item knowledge work in this game?

MB

2. Everian

Everian Member

I know the thread is old but i have the same problem. Build is 5.0.6 09.28.2008.

Perform is well beyond 9.

3. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I also have a female Gnome NG Bard5/Sorc2 whose competence bard music does not appear to work. I have 5.06 also, believe it's the same date. Competence did appear to work on the party Rogue on opening locks, but that was awhile ago, and before I multi-classed.

4. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Inspire competence does not iirc work on self. I'm not sure if this matters (it doesn't in RAW), but is your bard carrying an instrument?

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Aah, gnomes have a lot of issues....

As Basil said, i think that Inspire competence works on others, not yourself.

6. Basil the Timid

Really?? Are there special issues with gnomes, or are you just joking around?

7. Half Knight

Seriously.
    I hate halflings, so i make gnomes when i want a samll guy. I didn't use them a lot, and i've been experiencing problems.
    I don't recall exactly now, two problems where that a wizard gnome isn't proficient with staffs, or can't use throwable potions, cos they're neither proficient. I recall some problems with equipment too, and people have weight/carrying load issues (that's a problem with halflings also)
    I think there where more but i don't remember atm.

If you want/like, you could test that, making a magic-user gnome (those classes seem problematic), and making a list of the bugs you can encounter...

8. Everian

Everian Member

My Bard is also female and gnome :D. But i cant even select it cause its not there. Not in the select menue and not as a feat in the chardescription

9. Basil the Timid

What level? PC or a modified NPC?

10. Basil the Timid

HK, small guys cannot use two-handed weapons - too small!! Unlike RAW, a 12 strength small guy can carry as much as a 12 strength medium guy. They are also equally intimidating, which they shouln't be.

I tested out a female gnome and I did not see Inspire Competence anywhere on my radial menu at 4th level!!! How could you have gotten it to work, Scryler?

On the feat listing on the character sheet, all bardic music abilities are simply listed under Bardic Music.

11. Everian

Everian Member

Your right about the char description. There is only bardic music. Alas my bard is lv. 3 with perform at 10.

12. Half Knight

Yah, i know.
    But they yet have other kind of problems, i don't remember atm.

Why shouldn't be intimidating? There's no penalty to charisma... if i see a little guy with a dagger taking care of two larger creatures by stabbing them just a few times...then hell, i would run like a monk if he says "you're next" :)

Intimidation is quite hard to handle by rules, more in a crpg. I usually prefer to play that whit my players, and only use the roll for small encounters.
    One of my players has a 12 lvl fighter , clad in a black dragon-like armor, with an ovbious aura of evil, all kind of weapons -specially swords- strapped on his waist and back, and able to use a greatsword with only one hand and a spiked shield...well, it would scare the shit out of a group of a casual encounter of5-7 goblins, so we use the roll, but if he's trying to intimidate the mad wizard that keeps the entrance to the Drow underworld we prefer to roleplay that.

13. Lightsfantastic

Lightsfantastic Member

I currently have a Bard 2/Rogue 3. When I leveled her up to Rogue 3 Inspire Competence appeared on the radial dial under Bardic Music.

14. Half Knight

I always use Bards, and never had problems, everything works fine...

wtf3.jpg

15. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I haven't used it on myself. You can see it on the radial menu, but it doesn't have any effect when used. I used it on Otis. Perhaps that's why it didn't work?

Edit: I also did not have the most recent CMF. So I downloaded it and started over. I'll see if the bug shows up again. Probably take awhile. I don't play fast.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
Our Host!