Barbarian multiclasses

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ausdoerrt, Jul 2, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Now, for 7.3.0 I've tried doing something I haven't done before, which resulted in half the party as barbarian horcs to begin with. One has gone on to take Druid levels after the first 2 barb levels, and the other will continue as a TWF ranger. I have to say this is one of the most successful experiments so far. I'm especially looking forward to the druid getting the shapeshifting ability. Raging bears! :thumbsup:

Barbarian appears to be a very front-loaded class, so there's no reason not to stick 2-3 levels of it on any fighting class. I imagine DEX fighters and melee rogues would benefit from a sprinkle of barbarian as well. What are yall's experiences with barb multiclasses?

2. Lava

Lava Established Member

Flurry-of-blows-bear is also something to behold. Too bad there's no such thing as a monk-barbarian. RAGE FLURRY!

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ Damn, I want one now! Being greedy, I'd have to go through 11 levels of monk first, though >__>

P.S. As an added bonus to having horc barbs in the party, you get to have "stupid" conversations. Asking for Meleny's hand in marriage with a 6 INT brute is PRICELESS.

4. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

I'm not positive, but i think when you activate the Rage ability, the barbarian is going to be unable to cast spells or use a spell-like ability... like shapeshifting. I know you can't cast spells while raging. with a feat though you can cast spells while shapeshifted...

however i wholeheartedly agree with the Half-orc barbarian druid! i have had one in my party several times, it is a great combination! Use enchanted hide, bark or leather armor ... or even trollbone or dragon plate if not worried about DEX scores. 2H axes, long spears, Maul all serve as excellent weapons. I usually only add 2-3 levels of Barbarian, and it makes an excellent frontline druid. make sure to add Power and Cleave feats ASAP.

Character to take advantage of class skills should have high DEX, STR, WIS and hopefully CON.

Happy adventuring!!!

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I actually took Improved Unarmed feat even though I'm unsure that it does anything for a shapeshifted druid. I do find myself using Shillelagh more than anything else, though - a QS with double damage is just about the best weapon a druid could ask for when in human form.

IIRC, both plates are considered heavy armor, so you'll be losing the barb speed bonus, which is one of the best things you get out of the multiclass. Druid Hide is probably the best in terms of armor while not restricting MS.

I noticed that. You can't cast, but apparently you can still use extended spells (e.g. Call Lightning), and so possibly also SLAs. Then again, since you only get 1 rage/day with 2 levels of barb, and will activate it only when absolutely necessary to maximize physical damage, it's unlikely that you'll be casting anything in the meantime. I'm even debating whether to take Natural Spell, since most of the spells the druid is carrying are buffs anyway.

I personally skipped DEX (12 or 13) and went for CON. You get a nice HP boost from barb levels early on, and once you get the bear form, you become a damage sponge. You won't get high AC anyway, so I thought why bother with DEX.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  6. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

Have you noticed that the game will tell you your to hit percentages when using unarmed attacks when you hover over an enemy or hold down right click?

I often take at least 1 level of Barbarian on my fighters if they can "spare" the full or partial loss of a feat in their build. I enjoy the movement bonus and the rage ability that stacks with everything. Is mithril full-plate considered medium armor in Toee?

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ I think so, though you'll still lose 10ft movement speed since it has max speed 20 (meaning max 30 w/ barbarian levels).

Our Host!