back door virus warning

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by tom, Jun 13, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. UK_John

UK_John Member

I have AVG 8.0 and it was also saying that the TOEE.exe nocd had a virus. It always wanted to send it to the Virus vault and I would say no. I have come back to TOEE, having last played it early last year, because I have found this C0E mod and saw this thread. Well, I went to the game folder and there was no TOEE.exe, so at some point, without me being told, AVG deleted the exe. Well, I went to the same website I went to before and downloaded the same TOEE nocd I did last year and installed it, and this time AVG 8.0 doesn't have a problem with it. Don;t know if AVG has changed or the nocd has changed, but I am not getting any virus warnings now! Just thought i'd update this thread with the news as my first post! :)

Off topic - can someone direct me to the mod that has a You Tube video talking about a mod for high end that was done with Python and should have been out last month? The video doesn't give a name to the 'expansion' and just says to check here, but I don't really see anything! :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Glad to hear AVG is figuring out what we knew all along!

As for the "expansion" you heard about on youtube: they were probably talking about either the Co8 5.5 mod which fixes bugs and adds new content to the ToEE game, or they might have meant the Keep on the Borderlands mod, which is a total conversion using the ToEE game engine to create a whole new adventure based on the pen 'n paper module. Either way, you will find them in the Downloads section >> HERE <<

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think he probably means Ranth's mod. It never came out.

4. ronin688

ronin688 Member

Hi all new member here with a question about this (supposed) virus on the no-cd crack.

If I were to have a retail version of the game, would I be able to play without using the nocd crack if I have an original disk?

I've been told this is a great game, and I could pick it up cheap on Ebay. I don't want to take a chance with the crack.

Thanks all

5. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I picked up my copy on Amazon, years after it came out. You can play the game with the CD. Once in awhile, I had some issues early on with Trojan Virus warnings, but they turned out to be false. Some glitch or whatever.

Id hazard a guess that playing the game with the original CD would create less of a headache than using a No CD crack. I'm a bit paranoid, so I never play ANY game without the original, new CD. Very leery on used PC games.

6. ronin688

ronin688 Member

Thanks for the reply Emirkol. That's about what I needed to know. Placed my order on Ebay for a new sealed version, but I'll be sure to scan it to be sure it's clean when it arrives.

7. Emirkol the Chaotic

If its new, you (hopefully) shouldn't have any trouble per se. The issue lies with the actual game program acting strange with your OS or security software. The Trojan warning has been established to be a false postive, no actual threat, but I just wanted to make you aware of this possibility.

8. ronin688

ronin688 Member

No worries, I'm adequately warned hehe. I figured $10 was worth the risk to enjoy a game I've heard a lot about. I'm reasonably prepared to get it patched up properly and working.

9. erkper

EtC-

I'm glad you don't have any problems with the original game & discs, but there are some people (like me) who have such severe SecureRom issues with this game that it simply won't run on our systems without the no-cd crack applied. I would run this game off the CD if I could, but it won't even load without the crack - and my discs are store-bought in brand new condition.

10. Emirkol the Chaotic

Weren't you using (or are using) Vista? I run mine on XP. I wonder if that makes a difference?

Although the memory is akin to Swiss Cheese, I'm almost positive I once encountered the SecureRom issue on one of the very first play throughs. I had been going through the early parts of the game and when I returned (loaded a save), the SecureRom issue occurred. I think that's when I put the game awy for awhile. Later, I reinstalled and discovered the Co8 and haven't had an issue like that since. Mabe I was just lucky.

Nah, that can't be it..... :roll:

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I can confirm that AVG Free v9.0 no longer considers the patch 2 no-cd to be a trojan.

12. erkper

Norton Security Suite seems to have figured it out as well. Maybe I'll not be so irritated that Comcast replaced McAfee with Norton after all...

Our Host!