Back after a break

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pygon, May 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Pygon

Pygon Member

Dang it, stupid moathouse ogre! Just one level of barbarian = barbarian rage = +10 to hit from strength, +15 to damage. Cripes. That's just nasty for a CR 4.

Edit: Actually, after doing some comparitive research in the MM, I suppose that ogre isn't too bad. It's the one hit downers that hurt so much, though. A dire ape, being a CR 3, is potentially much deadlier with its rend ability.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Yeah...don't see HOW I coulda missed that one....:scratchhe

3. Pygon

Pygon Member

Bugs I've found playing 5.0.0, with cumulative fixes:

(Note, these are just things I see that are wrong, without being aware of what has actually been changed in 5.0.0 - I'll keep adding to this list and present it in full in the 5.0.0 beta thread - don't feel obligated to answer about any of these):

* My elven ranger is not immune to ghoul paralysis
    * In the druid level 2 spell list, there is a blank spot between Animal Trance and Lesser Restoration
    * When I replaced my gimped ranger with a new one at Hommlet's Inn, he was naked - is it the New Game condition that equips characters? No matter, I managed to transfer equipment from my old ranger to the new one
    * I don't get AoO's when an enemy drinks a potion
    * My 1st level ranger got the same amount of experience from encounters as everyone else when they are 3rd
    * When I have multiple party members selected and I click a corpse to loot, if an animal companion is the closest one, it tries to loot and nothing happens

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  4. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Are you sure it was a ghoul and not a ghast? Elves aren't immune to the latter. I can double-check the protos.tab, but I'm pretty sure all ghouls should have Paralysis (No Elf) in 5.0.

I noticed that as well.

Any characters added once the game has started appear naked. This has nothing to do with 5.0. When you say "gimped" ranger, was he paralized? Because the paralysis should wear off fairly quickly.

This a known bug which unfortunately requires a temple.dll hack to fix. Also not Co8-related.

Character levels 1-3 use the same XP award chart in the D&D rules. However, 100XP means a lot more to 1st level character than it does to a 3rd level, so it works out. Once you hit 4th level and above, there is a different award for each level.

This happens. Again, not Co8-related, but I'd love to see a fix for it. It's due to the fact animal companions don't have accessible inventories. (Which is unfortunate. I'd love to be able to put things like necklaces of natural armor and the like on companions to make them a little more durable.)

5. Pygon

Pygon Member

Ah yes, you're right, level 1-3 characters have the same XP table. Duh.

My elf ranger was being hit by the ghouls in the secret pillar room of the Moathouse. I'm pretty sure those are just ghouls, unless one of them is a ghast and I didn't notice.

By gimped I mean I mischose his feats and started him out with low strength, so his bow ability was going to be hampered (I chose Weapon Focus(Longbow) instead of Point Blank Shot, which is a prereq for Precise Shot, and his strength modifier was only +1, I wanted +2 to get a little help with a Mighty Composite bow later on).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  6. Pygon

Pygon Member

The evil troop outside the secret exit of the moathouse scared the crap out of me, just like the spiders during Lareth's fight from before. They got me :( I didn't see the bowmen back there, and they nailed my caster. Nice :)

7. Pygon

Pygon Member

Nice surprise undead attack at the Emridy Meadow artifact site! Another fine Oh Sh** moment!

8. Pygon

Pygon Member

I just arrived at the temple and fought the ghouls in the southern barrel room. They attacked my elf ranger and paralyzed him (he had the little blue paralyzed indicator under his portrait, and when it came around to his turn, the bar was empty and I couldn't do anything with him). I double checked all of them, and they were ghouls, no ghasts there.

9. Pygon

Pygon Member

More things that aren't right:

* Bugbears are still allowed the trip/free attack trick
    * My 6th level character occasionally receives the same amount of XP as my 7th level characters instead of more, maybe half the time.
    * While in the stirge room after the fight, my druid tried to cast cure light wounds on my bard. My bard had to make a saving throw and got a LONG duration shield of faith instead, and my druid didn't lose her cure light wounds spell. No idea how to duplicate that one. Perhaps it was because I was in the vicinity of the priests of the earth temple, and they were buffing right at that second? This happened in 4.0.0 too, somewhere else, but I can't remember where.
    * Ghouls are continuing to paralyze my elf ranger, whether they are wandering monsters, or placed encounters on level 1 of the temple.

On a more pleasant note, I haven't gotten any CTD's using the spike growth spell like I used to (pre-4.0). I think the big ogre/bugbear battle on temple level 4 will be the big test of that one. I'm not sure how accurately it is dealing damage, however - when I first started playing TOEE, it seemed to me in some cases that it dealt a lot more damage than it should. I'll keep an eye on it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  10. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

The bugbears have the feat Improved Trip. It grants the trip/free attack.

11. Pygon

Pygon Member

Ok, that explains that. I was under the impression it was going to be changed for 5.0.0.

12. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

It has been changed. Now they also have all the prerequisite feats they needed to have improved trip.

13. Pygon

Pygon Member

Ah, so you changed it the other way - drat

Our Host!