August's Workshop - Duskblade

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by August, Mar 14, 2023.

Remove all ads!
  1. August

August Established Member

For a bit I slipped some print statements in and just screwed around with a level 13 duskblade to get some info on what's breaking, where.

Is_touch_attack_spell isn't catching which spells are which on the radial. If I force the radial to just give me all the spells and then try applying a touch spell, it eats an action and does nothing; the ability itself is nonfunctional. My suspicions are that get_touch_attach_charge_enum isn't working either. Regardless, it acts all kind of weird. The spell is still a standard action, but makes an attack reduced in action time, but that doesn't quite work, either. I was able to act by reducing the d20 action to a swift to charge the spell, but then my attacks did no damage and did not discharge the spell, either. Very interesting. I've been poking at the cpps but nothing is jumping out as the obvious culprit.

After slamming my head into that for a while I've been looking at some spells dolio was working on and decided to relieve some stress by making spells he hasn't gotten to yet.

Marcelo Abner and Buffed Rabbit like this.
  2. August

Been trying out some spells of dolio's that were in beta for the duskblade, and talking with ArlosMolten who has been contributing help files. Working on a few right now. Kinda stumped on what's wrong with the subroutines in the cpp. Tomorrow's my bi-weekly movie night and I won't have a lot of time to spend on this so I'll try to knock out a few spells in the morning tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    Illustair and Buffed Rabbit like this.
  3. August

Just letting you know what I'm up to:

Code:
    spell_animalistic_power = 1700
    spell_blade_of_blood = 1701
    spell_channeled_pyroburst = 1702
    spell_crown_of_might = 1703
    spell_crown_of_protection = 1704
    spell_dimension_hop = 1705
    spell_dispelling_touch = 1706
    spell_doom_scarabs = 1707
    spell_energy_aegis = 1708
    spell_energy_aegis_greater = 1709
    spell_energy_surge_lesser = 1710
    spell_energy_surge = 1711
    spell_energy_surge_greater = 1712
    spell_halt = 1713
    spell_regroup = 1714
    spell_seeking_ray = 1715
    spell_stand = 1716
    spell_slashing_dispel = 1717
    spell_stretch_weapon = 1718
    spell_swift_expeditious_retreat = 1719
    spell_touch_of_idiocy = 1720
    spell_toxic_weapon = 1721

Buffed Rabbit likes this.
  4. August

Taking a break on the duskblade proper to make this spellpack, I need a little break from banging my head against the wall, already think I know what to do. I'm also doing greater/lesser/mass versions that don't appear on the duskblade list to thicken out other classes.

Dolio gave me permission to incorporate his spells too, so that'll be basically everything but the bull rush spells and lesser deflect (basically 5e shield, where you can use it as an immediate action, which you can't really do in TOEE) for the duskblade spell list. Their class identity is very heavily reliant on these spells.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  5. August

Still plugging away. Remember, make test characters! :)

6. August

Was a little sick over the weekend. Finished animalistic power and also did mass animalistic power for high level druid action. Dolio went and knocked out stand.

7. August

Been plugging away at a few spells - the energy surge line and blade of blood. Today is a day I want to go back and poke at the duskblade proper.

Is_touch_attack_spell isn't actually catching spells. It's new, added by doug to catch all touch spells; it's the most compatible way to handle it. Today the goal is to figure out why. Any commentary is helpful:

https://github.com/GrognardsFromHel...2963980e59f9d1ca9b2f713f0b6dca3eeef6e167f132f

Illustair likes this.
  8. August

Usually I have time in the work week to goof off but I've been covering for four people all week. Probably won't be able to do much until Sunday.

9. Illustair

Illustair First Order Wizard

Not to pressure you or anything but I’m just curious, do you think you can give us an estimate of what percentage you think you've finished so far? This project of yours really looks interesting.

10. August

Well, I had gotten about halfway but then doug showed me his version to work with that had everything but arcane attunement done. That itself is being a super pain to get working right. Doug had a method to actually monitor touch spells, put them in a features menu and cast them with a built in melee attack, but the hookups added to the C++ to check don't appear to work, and I can't figure out why. Frankly I'm very concerned I'm just not skilled enough to figure it out, since I've been screwing with mods for a long time but I'm not a professional programmer by any means.

Other than that, it's just making spells, which as you've seen is a little involved but isn't *difficult*.

I'm hoping to poke at it more this week and even ask some programmer friends for help, but if I have to give up on it, I'll move on to my plans for illusion magic.

Illustair likes this.
  11. Illustair

Illustair First Order Wizard

I'm sure you'll eventually find a way to work through this issue. I don't think anyone here is in a hurry anyway. I really hope you continue doing what you're doing. Just don't let yourself get burnt out.

August likes this.
  12. August

Dolio knocked out blade of blood!

The last week was discouraging; I was too busy to touch this stuff and had no ideas on how to fix arcane channeling.

For now, I think I'm going to clean up and prep the NPC classes for merge (and get my first real pull request in!!), then get to work on the spell pack until I get a better idea.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    Buffed Rabbit and Illustair like this.
  13. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

What about using the Arcane Archer's Imbue Arrow as a base?

14. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

The Arcane Archer's Imbue Arrow ability uses the class's spell-casting path so it is not possible to add any sort of arcane spell-casting advancement to this class

August likes this.
  15. August

This is actually what I was thinking. Again there are only eight spells in the Duskblade's repertoire that actually use arcane channeling. I could just make eight dummy spell versions of them that just imbue your next attack (a la blade of blood/energy surge-alike).

Buffed Rabbit likes this.
Our Host!