Arachnophobia and Eight Legged Freaks

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by pb, Jun 15, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. pb

pb Member

I can't complete either of these quests. For Eight Legged Freaks, I killed the queen, but she did not have any eggs on her corpse; for Arachnophobia, I killed every spider in the south woods (including a black widow in the secret underground area), but I don't have the option to tell the bailiff that the quest is finished; according to my logbook, I've killed the queen, four large spiders, one black widow, two fiendish medium dire spiders, and two fiendish small dire spiders. Is there something I'm missing, or is this just bugs?

2. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

The only way the queen will have eggs on her corpse is if you give them to her.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The queens eggs were stolen.
    You need to kill the queen + 10 others: you've listed 9, one of whom was on the wrong map. There's more spiders out there.

4. pb

pb Member

I've plowed the fog of war off of the entire map, except for one small area south of where the queen is that I can't find any way to get to (it's surrounded by an impassable wall of white trees). So, either the remaining two spiders are missing, or they're in an area that as near as I can tell is impossible to get into.

5. Shiningted

Dunno what to say :shrug: Sorry to hear its not working out, but this 'problem' has always been solved by folks finding the rest of the spiders.

6. pb

pb Member

Here's a save where I re-checked all of the major areas (aside from the one that as noted I couldn't get into), went underground, came back out, and checked again, and STILL had no new living spiders:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2ICSSDSQ

7. Shiningted

Ok, I'll check it out.

8. Shiningted

Ok, sorry to be a pain but I need your 'PC' folder as well - its right next to the saves folder. Just email it to me if you like:

shiningted@yahoo.com

9. pb

pb Member

10. Shiningted

Thanks for that! I'll grab it first thing on the weekend and give it a run :)

11. Shiningted

Ok, got it and it all worked! (That was unexpected, since i have heavily hacked the game since the release, but anyways...)

You are quite right, there are only 6 spiders + queen on there! What is happening is Prince Leopold (the cat at the start of the map) is not doing his job and spawning the random spiders (and other critters that live on the map). That seems to be a problem that somehow crept into protos.tab recently (for the life of me, I can't begin to imagine how).

Anyways, no way to fix it in your game now. What you can do is type the following into your console

game.global_vars[8]

When you hit return, it should say '106'. If not, you typed it wrong. Once you have it right, bring it up again (hit the up button) and add '= 110', ie so it says

game.global_vars[8] = 110

Then the Bailiff should accept you have completed the quest.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention :thumbsup:

12. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

It appears to me that the problem is that if you complete the egg quest and then attack the queen, she doesn't bring in her brood to fight for her. Thus the number of spiders killed is too low.

13. pb

pb Member

Problem with that theory- I hadn't completed the egg quest.

Of course, she didn't bring in any brood, anyways.

14. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

So you're saying that when you attacked the queen that she didn't bring in reinforcements?

15. Shiningted

I think she only does if you initiate combat from dialogue. I'll fix that.

The problem, as outlined above, is that the randomly generated spiders - maybe as many as 14 of them, looking at the script - not to mention 3 other randmoly generated things are not there. (For the record, the randomosity is just so no two games are ever the same, while the non-random ones are the ones who wander around a bit: you can't do that randomly. Or if you can, its a pain).

Sorry again about that guys.

Our Host!