Any issues installing ToEE on Windows 8?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by florian1, Jun 15, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I removed all the exceptions except toee.exe, and suddenly the cursor was working on my next attempt to start the game!

Aargh! Once again frustration. I selected options to make sure 'save with map change' was disabled. The options screen opened, and then the cursor was frozen again. Once again I had to shut down my computer, because I could find no way to get out of the ToEE screen.

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Does the following link help?

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=118313&postcount=4

If not, then I can only speculate that it might be a video card problem, or video card driver problem, or video settings problem, or mouse hardware problem, or mouse driver problem. I really don't know, so sorry I can't help. I haven't used Windows 8 yet, so I'm not any help.

You're not using TFE-X version 4.0, are you? (because you would need Java (version 6 or 7) installed on your computer to be able to use that version of TFE-X)

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Is your cursor the blue ToEE pointer or the white windows pointer when it freezes?

One way to avoid the system shutdown/powerup/recover problem is to test all this stuff out and get it working in windowed mode. You can do that with 800x600 in the current front end (I think it is), or you can try out the new one which offers a variety of resolutions with windowed mode. When you're in windowed mode, if the game locks up you still have access to the rest of your system because the game is only in a window, so you can click out of it and do the ctrl-alt-del thing to terminate ToEE.

4. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Judging by the symptoms it seems like a video card (possibly a video card driver) issue. If all else fails, also try updating your video card drivers to the latest version for Windows 8 from the official website of the manufacturer of your video card and see if that helps. What video card are you using, by the way?

- Agetian

5. florian1

Gaear: it is the ToEE pointer. I can make the windows pointer appear if I hit the windows key, but all I can do is move it around. If I click it, it disappears. I thought of using the window mode, but did not, and will do so from now on.

Agetian: I will look into the video card. I'm no computer tech, but we'll see. My computer seems to update everything as it is. The video card is NVIDIA GEFORCE GT.

I seem to have bigger problems, though, as today my new computer is restarting every ten minutes for an unknown reason. All the computer can tell me is that my computer "ran into a problem". Better call the techs.......

6. florian1

I removed AVG, as it seems to have been what was causing my computer to restart every few minutes. I have McAfee back, and I added every .exe and .dll file I could find in the TOEE folder to the exclusions. I also downloaded GG anew, this time using the GOG downloader.

The game worked fine, until I chose to quit. Then it froze. That's a problem if it is in regular full screen mode, as I have to shut down my computer. Next I opened it in Window mode, and it worked fine. All I did was create a character. Then I quit, and it froze, but now I can simply close the window.

It would be nice to play in full screen.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Have you tried the possible solutions for that in gazra's link?

8. florian1

Oops. I actually missed that message. I will follow up on that. Thanks.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Are you running Win8 in desktop mode, if not you probably should.

Also be sure to have the movies enabled, the cursor thing is a problem I get if I have the movies disabled.

10. florian1

I tried out the suggestions in the link Gazra suggested. They all had an effect, but not the desired one. When I re-enabled the intro (my default is to skip), the screen was flashing the entire time, and didn't even make it to the end of the intro before freezing.

11. florian1

I work from the desktop screen, not the new windows eight tiles screen or whatever it is. I don't know if that is what you mean by "desktop mode".

So far I am not a big fan of windows 8, to say the least. Had big problems with a computer we got for one of the kids.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Yes, that's what I meant.

Myself, I'm staying with Win7.

13. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

florian1, this is what I would do if I was in your predicament:

1. make sure that the 'Intro' is ALWAYS 'enabled' in TFE-X (The Front End-X);

2. make sure that the files toee.exe, TFE-X.exe, and temple.dll are in your game's main folder. Some anti-virus software will delete or quarantine toee.exe without informing you that they have done so. Your toee.exe file should be 33KB in size if you have the correct toee.exe file (although I'm not sure if the Good Old Games version of the game has a different sized toee.exe file) (I've never used the Good Old Games version of the game, my game was installed from CDs);

2. disable any anti-virus software (if your anti-virus software has the option to be disabled/enabled at will) before you play The Circle of Eight Modpack. If your anti-virus software refuses to completely disable (or can't be disabled), then I would uninstall it everytime that you want to play the game, and then re-install it when you want to connect to the internet again. This may be a really big pain, but it may be the only way to get your game working properly.

Please let us know what the outcome is if you try all of these things. You are a financial supporter of the Circle of Eight forum, so we really do want to help you to get the game to work for you.

P.S. I presume that Windows 8 comes with Microsoft .NET Framework. The Circle of Eight Modpack 7.8 needs .NET Framework 2.0 (or later) installed on your computer in order to work properly, so you might want to check that you do have .NET Framework installed on your computer.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  14. florian1

Disabling the virus protection did not seem to help, but uninstalling it did help.

It works much better with the intro disabled.

toee.exe is KB in GOG.

The three files you mentioned are all in the ToEE folder.

I have started the game several times now to make characters, all in window mode. It still crashed twice while in the game. A third time it stopped working when my computer auto-updated the GOG downloader, which took me out of the toee window. When I clicked back on the toee window to continue, the screen went blank, and would not even close. It has worked properly so far about five or six times, which is better than never working, which is how it was before uninstalling the virus program.

15. florian1

Whenever I exit the game, it does freeze up. In window mode I can easily close the window. I just tried it in normal, full screen mode, and found a way out of the frozen screen without turning off the computer. ALT-TAB allowed me to the curser back, and then I was able to click on "close program" (left over after the inevitable attempt by Windows to find a solution to the problem).

Our Host!