Allyx - special post for you

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Apr 10, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I am completely confused on this swords thing. The walkthrough at GameBanshee was the first I heard of it. I thought the Prince was a Paladin so tnat should make Fragarach lawful good and holy. I am under the impression that ONLY lawful good can be holy. So, if Fragarach is chaotic good, it's not a holy sword. I'm not up to date on the latest rules. I'm still in 1st edition mindset. Holy swords should be lawful good and ONLY lawful good should be able to use them. Anything else is a corruption by making new rules . Holyswords were a gift/reward for exceptional service to the diety. They couldn't be bought or just "found", they had to be earned.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I think it goes without saying that I'm all for things adhering closer to the rules. *g*

And really, I don't have any objection to more found loot if it's in the hands of NPCs that it makes sense for them to have, and they can use it effectively against the party. In those cases, the party has earned their new magical trinkets. I also don't have problem with giving the occaisional bad guy loot that helps them, but the party can't use. Giving some evil NPCs unholy weapons would be nice. (Hedrack is the only one that I can think of that actually carries one.)

3. Kalshane

Holy in 3.0 and 3.5 is a property that can be added to weapons to do 2d6 points of additional damage to evil creatures and can be used by any good or neutral creature.

What you're thinking of is a Holy Avenger, which is a specific weapon for paladins and was the only holy sword, until the Complete Book of Paladins was released for 2nd ed, in the game.

4. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

I agree too on everything that you told in the last 3 or 4 posts: mainly that nothing should be given for free and that the game is sometimes too easy. But still think that it is not always true.

Think for example about a true neutral party that I enjoyed to call "nature party" composed by a barbarian, a ranger (that has serious troubles in making damages to creatures with a heavy damage reduction), a druid in a place of cleric (that doesn't have any decent weapon and must shapeshift into a bear to fight, loosing several points in AC and getting injuried often, with no cure spells spontaneous casting), a gnome bard in place of thief (that I had to multiclass for some special ability but still resulted weak out of fights) and a sorcerer. The barbarian and the sorcerer were the only good ones but generally the party suffered for the lack of a cleric for spontaneous casting, magical defenses, protection against fear (what a mess against the balor!) had several other deficits. It was HARD, as well it is hard to play with a monk, since there is not any gaunlet of mighty fists in the game, I don't remember if greater magic weapon spell affects his fists and, to get some bonus to the hit roll, he must use magic quarterstaffs, loosing his stunning fist ability.

So, I think that, if you want to make the game more balanced, you should create some sort of situations where a particular group or combination of PCs is more advantaged than another.
    Maybe you could create a powerful lawful neutral party that wants to controll the golden skull for good purposes, so that a good alligned party may want to stop them but can't use any anti-evil or anti-chaotic ability or item that usually would make fights too easy.
    More, you could add some guardians to prince Thormel that is under charm too, will attack the party and must be knocked down unconscious to be saved if the party can't dispell the charm effect. (weird too that he carries a so strong magical sword but his armor and his shield aren't magical and that he has no specailization feats for bastard swords).
    Or maybe you could add some encounter with some strong feral animal that may have his lair near some strategical temple entrance, to give advantage to druids where maybe a cleric would be less useful and so on.
    Or add some small subquest with XPs as reward to make useful at least once some minor spells that are almost never used.
    I could keep posting ideas like that but I have no idea if they are something that may be made or just that goes over the game limits.
    Matt.

5. Kalshane

I've never had any problem with using monks. They get the ability to bypass magic and lawful DR as they level up. Amulets of Mighty Fists are craftable by druids, but sadly you're right, none are found in the game. But when I have a monk I generally craft them a Belt of Strength and they do fine.

6. Firestrand

Firestrand Member

Maybe we should add some dialog to the monk in Hommlet and have him sell the magic items a monk would use??

Is this something that would interest people?

-Firestrand

7. Kalshane

Well, considering the monk in question is both evil and recruitable, I don't think he makes the best choice as a shopkeeper. (Recruiting Burne totally screws up his shop inventory. I haven't noticed if the same thing happens to Otis.)

Maybe a wandering encounter with a monk who challenges your monk to a non-lethal duel. If you win, he gives you his Amulet of Mighty fists+3 or whatever. (ETA: This could be triggered after you defeat Tolub and you gain a repuation as a skilled unarmed fighter.)

8. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Okay, I already have a quest written, scripted and in game (version 1.5 which is NOT posted yet).

Currently the reward works like this (I'm trying to not give too much away about the quest):

1) Once the quest is solved you are allowed to pick one item, which you have to pay gold for.

2) You can then select the item that you would want, and pay the price in gold for it. And then it arrives in a few days.

I already had a few items in mind for this, but if there are items that people feel need to be in game then list them here and I will add them to that quest if it seems like they are reasonable items to request.

Just list the item you think should be included with the reason why you think this item should be available...

Mind you they will still cost gold, but at least they will be available.

Gloves of Mighty Fists seems like a good addition... something to help monks..
    - Livonya

9. Kalshane

I'd leave it as an amulet as per the PnP rules (and already existing in ToEE) as monks gain benefit from Gloves of Dexterity since they don't wear armor. But that could work too.

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

My whole bit about the swords...

...is this:

If they're going to be added and/or fixed, do it right. My last game was a total nature party, and Scather didn't even factor into my plans. And I've never used Fragarach at all. Hell, Scather was screwy in certain circumstances, and couldn't be counted on...vrock spores being damaging to everyone nearby, I had to overcome the AOO loop to beat zuggy. I'm not for making things easier in this game, just more interesting.

The best weapons, IMO are the ones you can craft.

And Excalibur...

11. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well Liv your idea about the choice for the swords sounds fair to me. if we do it that way we will need to leave Fragarach the way it came and make another sword to take its place on my list. i could just remove the true neutral sword and use that one since true neutral characters can pick up any of these swords and use them without penalty. either way works and ill fix it up as soon as you let me know which you prefer. well Lord Spike you wouldnt have to worry about the AOO loop with these they dont have that bonus. they arent as powerful as scather or excaliber but they are a bit stronger than what you can craft. they are +3 and have the bonuses to damage and thats all they are

for those that would like option 1 then Fragarach is chaotic and holy in the game and its bonuses will only work for CG, i cant change that. scather has no bounus of holy, lawful or chaotic but will only work completely for CG, its the same Fragarach bonus and i cant change that.

i agree Liv about the new items being masterworks we can make into what we want, its the best way to keep the game balanced. which reminds me i had also put masterwork grey brigand leather in as i just liked it better than the regular leather for my thief and its also in that file.

12. 0rion79

Sorry but I think that in a party the monk is not the first fighter, so probably that belt would go a warrior or somebody else. Anyway, what weird party do you have, using a druid and a monk together? L.N, buw what if I want to use other combinations? Anyway, I would suggest to make gloves of mighty fists to be braciers like the ones of archery.

13. 0rion79

Somebody with my same experience, but:
    1 - where may you find excalibur, or some other powerful weapons like the composite longbow str +2 and the bow of ice? Maybe I missed them but that I can remember, they can't be found anywere in the game.
    2 - of course your own weapons are the best you may have, but - regardless to the cost in gold that is fair - there is a limit to XPs available in the game so that there is a limit to what a spellcaster may forge, more considering that that heavy drain of XPs will prevent the choosen spellcaster(s) to level up like the other party members. That's why I think that the game should garant basic items for all the kinds of party combinations and then allow the PC to choose if to invest XP to improve what he have or then to leave it as it is.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  14. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

There is really no limit to the xp available. Just keep sleeping in Emerdy Meadow or the 3rd or 4th level of the temple. For a real fun time, take a nap on the earth node. Galb Duhur... 'nuff said.

15. 0rion79

At that point, is just easier and less boring to type levelup in the console.
    C'mon, waiting for extra monsters in a place that you already cleaned and making secure for me is almost like cheating.

Our Host!