All-NPCs party feasible?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Isewein, Dec 19, 2020.

Remove all ads!
  1. Isewein

Isewein Member

@Oleg Ben Loleg : I have that option unchecked in the front end, yet I still see exact HP displayed in the game. Seems like a glitch then?

PS: Is there any drawback to simply resummoning a Druid's Animal Companion instead of wasting a Raise Dead scroll on it?

2. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I'm pretty sure the Druid can summon a new animal companion without delay.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yep, absolutely they can. Dismiss, re-summon this is why I feel no guilt killing my players animal companions mercilessly when I GM.

4. Isewein

Isewein Member

Huh, I never knew. I thought it worked like a Familiar, but checking the SRD right now you are right. That saves me a lot of trouble (although I do feel ever so slightly guilty...).

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I think familiars are both far more fragile, and far harder to regain after a death because they could potentially be far more useful in tabletop games. They can scout at exceptionally long ranges with little risk to themselves and no risk to the owner and have a limited ability to communicate over these vast distances which improves as they level up.

In ToEE, they are less useful however since the scouting aspect doesn't come into play, they also lack the ability to have personal and touch spells cast through them. Normal familiars also have other limitations however, tiny and smaller creatures have 0 foot reach, meaning they can attack, but must enter an enemies space to do so - provoking an attack of opportunity before even getting to attack, this is in addition to AoO's provoked from moving through a threatened space, but for delivering touch ranged buff spells and healing to allies from distance could be incredibly useful (if only it were possible it ToEE).

Isewein likes this.
  6. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

ToEE animal companions are disposable. Familiars are a bit less disposable.

7. Dreamteam

Dreamteam Member

Sorta. It's part exploit and part class synergy.

If you have both a Wizard and a Sorceror in your party already, then there is no added benefit in doing this. But if you have to chose between the two (to diversify the party), choose Sorceror. Then multi your (N)PC as Sorcerer with only 1 level of Wizard, so they get a familar + spellbook + scribe scroll. Thus you gain the breadth of knowledge of the wizard's spellbook (through scribing your own scrolls) while maintaining all the tactical benefits of being a free-caster (ie. no need to memorize what spells you intend to cast that day).

The exploit is that the benefits of Scholar Kits stack in ToEE, and there are 4 kits available in/near Hommlet so it is easy to do. Keep your Spellcraft skill maxed as you level. Having high Spellcraft and stacked scholar kits allows you to add spells to you spellbook that are normally too high for a Wiz 1 to know, and once they are in your spellbook you can scribe them again as a scroll whenever you need it. Thus you gain the wizard's breadth of knowledge through your supply of scrolls.

All combat spells such as MM or FB that scale w/ level you learn as you level sorcerer, whereas spells that just toggle an effect outside of combat such as Invisibility or Detect Magic you read from your endless self-made supply of wizard scrolls.

Try it out on Pischella, as her stats are excellent for this, rather than dragging around both a Sorc and a Wiz. A Bard becomes exceedingly versatile if they do this as well (even more so, due to their high Use Magic Item skill).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
Our Host!