AI Stuff

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ugignadl, Apr 15, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Howdy all. So here I am thinking about how I could possibly contribute.

Is there a need for better AI scripts? The Vrock, for example, is terminally stupid (especially when summoned). Some monsters just don't use their abilities properly, or do retarded things in a given circumstance (say, quaffing a potion which heals d8 HP but provokes 5 AoO). If the AI scripts are written in Python I should be able to help with this.

So why the post...why not do it? Three reasons...

1. I want to know if anyone is already working on it, or has fixed most of these already for 4.1.0, or is planning on doing it and knows exactly how or has already planned it.
    2. I want to know if this is even possible...even though I hesitantly admit to knowing how DLLs work, and being somewhat experienced in creating them, I don't REALLY want to get started on that....especially since Brad could return at any time and I would have then wasted a whole shitload of time.
    3. I am inherently lazy and regardless of my long standing lurking obsession with DnD wotnot, I'm not going to do this just for me. Terminally feebleminded Hedrack, Bugbears and Vrocks aside.

Thanks.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well I don't know if anyone is working on this, but scripting is only so much for the AIs: I understand the critters follow the strategy.tab pretty closely no matter what you try to program them to do in san_start_combat. But by all means have a go!

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Ugignadl,

Like Ted says, NPC actions in combat are almost exclusively controlled by strategy.tab. There is little that can be done in the scripts, though by all means try.

While it will be great to have another person who really knows python helping out (in fact, I might have a project or two for you in that regard), what we really need is a .dll guru. If you don't want to mess with the .dll, well, you shouldn't have mentioned that you have experience with them. You should probably expect to be pestered to death to work with the .dll now. Brad has been MIA for a while, and I for one am not really expecting him back. You are needed.

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

This is me, pestering now. Your talents are of obvious use. I understand the position you're in, and submit only this suggestion. Try starting with something small; See how it goes & whether or not you want to continue with it or not. what could it hurt?

And you've always got a spot in the Legion, unless of course you choose to give it up to become .dll chief. Why serve in heaven when you can rule in hell?

5. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Ha ha. I should edit that part of my post out. I know not what I do Oh Lord :) (keeping in theme with the holiday and all).

I'll go have a look at strategy.tab. I guess from the tone of your replies that no-one has fixed the AI routines? Even in strategy.tab?

On the .dll. That wasn't meant to be part of this thread so I'll start a new one. Also, C-Blue, if you want to give me a shout as to what these other projects are....

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There was much hacking with the strategy.tab done by Liv, some of it very good, but we don't have a step-by-step understanding of why it works the way it does.

Our Host!