AI fixes / bug reports

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Feb 22, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Spellcasters!

I'm kind of old, and I still have the original D&D Basic boxset in the basement. Spellcasters and magic is what the game is all about. Really powerful spellcasters are tough. I would be careful that they don't get too powerful and unbalance the game, for good or evil. It's a tough job and I can't do it. A good, fair balance is tough to acheive, just ask any Druid!

2. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

i agree Wizgeorge and like you ive been at it a long time and have all the old stuff sitting on a shelf here. any class at upper levels can become to powerful and unbalance a game but wizards and clerics are at the top of the list. id like to see more of a challenge with the NPC's but they dont need to become god like either.

3. wizgeorge

No more help?

It appears with the shut down of Troika and nothing from Atari, that the only help for the game has got to come from the game community. A number of people have done a lot of work and a great job. Is there any chance of major corparate involvement in the near future that anyone knows of?

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I would say there's no chance at all. If ever a new TB CRPG comes along, it will probably be from some new developer that has nothing to do with Troika or their game engine. Co8 would seem to be our only hope, most definitely.

Furthermore, I wouldn't expect anything soon from anyone along these lines. BG3 is so far in the future it may not even exist. If Agetian and Livonya and dulcaoin and Morpheus and Allyx and anyone else around here can forge the existing engine into something that's more easily moddable (as their current pioneering work might suggest), then our real hope for the future of TB CRPGs lies in ToEE, abandonware that it is.

Isn't that odd, sad, and exciting all at the same time?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  5. wizgeorge

Sad news.

I think ToEE is a good game, but only because of the hard work of some dedicated people. At least the game has a future even if the big corporate types aren't in the game. It's sad because I think this game has good potential and deserves more attention. Thank goodness for all the support and work of Livonya and others who made this game playable and better!

6. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

If I may disagree (slightly) with one point... It's not (so much) the game that has potential, it's the _platform_. Troika built some great stuff into this engine, and really overshot the requirements of just the one module. Part of that is the flexibility purchased by migrating an existing engine (from Arcanum) over, but another, big part is that they simply REALLY knew what they were doing here. As a professional software developer myself, I can say with some authority that these guys knew their stuff.

It'd be nice if we could get to the C level of the app, but what they DID expose is enormous, and we'll have a lot of fun (over a long time) exposing and taking advantage of what's here.

-- dulcaoin

7. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I totally agree.

The more I work with TOEE the more I realize that the platform is amazing. I can do so much without even getting to the core level.

They built a fantastic engine that would allow their game designers/scripters to make a fantastic game. But the designers/scripters didn't get the time to finish.

There are a few problems with the core engine... such as NPCs not evoking AOP when they use potions, broken spell effects, and what not... but for the most part the engine works and with the correct scripting a LOT is possible.

I have changed a massive amount of TOEE already, and I am just now hitting my stride with my scripting knowledge.

The engine/platform is pretty damn solid.

- Livonya

8. wizgeorge

Good work!

I'm not a programmer, I'm an old hardware electronics tech, Navy trained, but I'm learning. I thinks it's great that people take the time and have the energy and skills to do a lot of stuff. I think everyone appreciates the efforts of all involved. Co8fanfix and temple dll make the game what it is. When I first bought the game and played, I thought I had wasted my money. Now I enjoy it. Things have come a long way and looking better. Good work!

9. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ok this has to be some kinda bug, either that or im remembering the game wrong. i havent played it in almost a year but im sure that there was something in the moat house that lead you to Nulb. now ive finished everything in Homlet emiry meadows and the moat house and there is no Nulb or temple on the map so i cant go any farther in the game. am i wrong and missing something here before i get to Nulb that i forgot about?

10. wizgeorge

Finding Nulb..

Sell some stuff to the jeweler and he will mark it on your map. Lareth's diary and the secret cave exit doesn't give you Nulb.

11. Draggor

Draggor Member

Lawful Neutral Party Problems

Hello all,

It seems that the opening vinnette (sp?) causes a game crash for this party. I have the 2nd patch, CO8 3.4, and Morpheus's mod.

Any Advice?

Thanks

~Update~
    It seems as if it is linked to a warrior with Exotic weapon proficiency in spiked chain. It also errors out of Neutral Good opening.

This is in Ironman, if that makes a difference.

~Update Two~
    It seems as if this problem is not localized to one charactor, or Ironman. I am unable to start a game with the Lawful Neutral starting alignment at all.

For Future use... Is this question something that belongs in the Bug thread?

Thanks.

~Update Three~
    I have determined that every opening story crashes when there is a fighter included in my party.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  12. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I don't recall ever finding anything Nulb-related in the moathouse. There's various people in Homlett that can direct you there, plus if you're playing a alignment that has a "talk to this person in Homlett" opening, said person will direct you to Nulb once you tell them you've cleared out the Moathouse.

As for finding the Temple, there's tons of different ways once you get to Nulb (or else sell something with Lareth's name on it to the evil traders in Homlett and then go travelling.)

13. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ok thanks....id checked the walk throughs after and they said to get lareth's diary but it didnt do anything for me. but i got it now after some talking in hommlet.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Draggor -

There was an issue with an earlier version of moebius' temple.dll file that caused crashes after opening vignettes due to erroneous code for an inventory item for fighters that didn't actually exist. Get a newer version and your troubles should go away.

Check out Morpheus' Current mods and patches thread for the links.

15. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

This is so weird. I've absolutely gotten a map to Nulb from the diary before, several times. You do have to read it, but I'm assuming you tried that. ;)

Our Host!