AI fixes / bug reports

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Feb 22, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

livonya

I didn't want to spoil it in case you were gonna keep that in, but what i meant was, my group was at level 1, i took furnok to the meddows,specifically to test this trap, he found it, but couldn't disable it (it took about 5 attemts), so I fought the undead, then tried picking the lock, failed and got squashed by the giant!

2. stormbard

stormbard Member

I'd like to say thanks Livonya for all your work, what you're doing sounds amazing, and I second Blackfly's comments. I love this game's interface and style, and with improvements will become how I believe it was meant to be. Thanks again, and I look forward to playing your new and impproved version soon.
    Cheers

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Another idea

This isn't really bug or AI related, but what are the chances of making conditions at the temple more realistic throughout the game?

Specifically, many people at the Atari boards and elsewhere have complained at the odd complacency of everyone at the temple. Virtually no one responds to events that occur around them, even over great periods of time. You would think that the place would be repopulated to an extent after the PCs came through but then left again to rest. The temple priests, learning of the attacks, would recruit new/more/better troops to safeguard the place and post alerts to further intrusions. As it stands, no one is particularly aware of even the most significant events, such as the deaths of other priests, unless their killing was a party quest. I find it hard to believe that 7 days after Kelno's killing, upon the party's return to the temple, Belsornig wouldn't be aware of his demise.

I've always found this rather irritating . . . just a thought.

4. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Blackfly -

No, there isn't any place to really down load my changes yet. As soon as I am done I will post everything with instructions for installation. I don't want to post it in stages, as it is a work in progress, and the finish line is very close.

I have some set goals at the moment. As soon as I reach those goals I will post a beta version. Don't worry everyone will get access. I will post my version (compatible with the current Co8 patch), and I will also be submitting all my work to the Co8 crew so they can add whatever they like to their next fix.

I will then play through the game once and see if I think more changes/fixes are required. I am sure more are in order...

Stormbard -

I also love TOEE. There were a few things that annoyed me and so I set out to fix as many as I could.

Some things are unfixable, and I can live with that. The AI fix is really the only thing I really felt was absolutely needed. I did a lot of other fixes/add-ons just to learn the scripting language. And of course I found ways to fix some stuff along the way.

I am looking forward to playing TOEE once these last few changes are installed. I think it is a great game. Too bad Troika was underfunded. I think TOEE had the potential to be one of the greatest games ever made for the role-playing/dnd crowd. They simply needed 1 more year I think.

The more I play with the scripts the more I can see that they had a lot of stuff planned, but simply not fixed. There are a lot of tiny little bugs that cause flaws... little things like typos in the code. Given time Troika would have squashed all those bugs. All I am doing with the AI fix is what I assume Troika would have done given more time.

I suspect TOEE may be the last game of this type to be made in the USA. Personally, I believe that true role playing games (especially turn based) are a relic of the past. The game industry is too geared to profits and the resources required to make the games are now so large that a really good turn-based role playing game is simply too expensive to make.

So with that in mind I would rather take the time to make TOEE better rather than wait for something better to come along (something that I don't think will be coming).

- Livonya

5. Livonya

Gaear -

I could do everything you are asking. It is absolutely possible. In fact I know exactly how to do it. There are virtually no limits to what can be done in this respect.... however, there is one limit: time.

It would simply take a lot of time to do what you are asking for.

If I didn't have a job I would actually love to re-write the entire TOEE game. It could be done. The engine is great, and the game could be completely re-written. That is absolutely possible.

I wish I had the time... I can't tell you how many times I wish I had more time to work on TOEE. So many fun ideas could be added.

I spent about 100+ hours learning how to use the scripts/files. And now that I have it down I can tell you that modding TOEE is actually quite easy.

The scripting language is simple and effective. The proper tools are all in place and easy to use. You can modify almost everything. It really isn't hard.

Everything that is unfixable has to do with the engine itself. Things that are hard-coded can't be changed, at least not by someone that lacks more complicated programming skills and better software. I am not a computer programmer. I don't know any computer programming skills.

But still given enough time I could re-write TOEE. Almost anyone could. To do what you are asking does not involve tinkering with the hardcoded engine.

- Livonya

6. Gaear

Thanks for the rundown. I'll see if I can arrange for your sabbatical. ;-)

7. Livonya

I can get rid of his 5 attacks per round, but 5 attacks per round is probably what he should get considering Terjon is level 30.

How many attacks per round should a level 30 NPC get?

His stats are a bit inflated. What should his stats be at level 30?

- Livonya

8. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

Livonya, have you posted any of your findings on modifying scripts anywhere?

If not, perhaps you could do so? With more people able to work on scripts, the work could be shared, and more could be done.

I've been working on figuring as much out as I can, but (as you're aware) it's slow going at first, and I'd rather spend my time and talents "fixing" rather than "tinkering".

Edit: I've discovered the modding forums, so this isn't as big an issue now. Still, if you have pointers, I'd like to read them.

-- d

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  9. Longarms

Longarms Member

I have a suggestion/bug fix.

Can you make magic stone work the way th instructions say? Could the spell create magic stones in your inventory (like the goodberry spell) that could be thrown or slung?

10. Allyx

It is possible, we'd have to make a new line in Protos for the Magic stones, and change the spells scripting to be more like goodberry or bless water. I could add the item to protos, but I think scripting is Livonya's department.

11. Livonya

Kalshane -

I fixed this. Now if Iuz animate's the dead around the area the loot will remain. This was a hard fix, but I I learned a lot so it was well worth it.

- Livonya

12. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

What the hell is a 30th level character doing in Homlett? Especially since if you're Neutral Evil, you have a quest to kill him. That's just silly. Plus, if he's 30th level, why can't he cast Heal on Bing? That's shoddy design right there.

Not 5, unless he's a monk or has two-weapon fighting (and actually uses two weapons). Number of attacks per round max out at 20th level. You BAB continues to go up every other level, but you don't gain any more attacks. As a cleric, he should max out at 3.

As a 30th level character, his stats should be pretty impressive. But I seem to recall him having a ridiculous AC that had absolutely no reflection in the gear he carries.

I'm still shaking my head about him being 30th level.

13. Gaear

Is Terjon in the P&P module? If so, does his level square with that?

14. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

In the P&P module, he's a 6th level cleric. Troika beefed him up a little bit ...

15. Allyx

I don't actually have the epic level handbook, my brother has it though (I'll check it with him) but a level 30 cleric should have a BAB of +22/+17/+12/+7/+2, and his stats should be 7 points of wisdom higher than his base at first level. As I say i'll check that and post back.

Our Host!