Adjusting background sounds in the temple

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Emirkol the Chaotic, Sep 19, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Well Met all!

Just a thought I had here at the office (instead of actually working, it's Friday here after all!). Could it be made possible to gradually reduce the background sounds in the temple (ie: screams, footsteps, etc) to nothing, as players go through and remove every living thing in existence from the temple?

This is not so much for playability but for more for ambiance and reality. In my current game, there is NOTHING left alive in any of the temple levels, save for the locked level and the Nodes. I thought it funny that sounds of life (and death) are still present in a structure that's been cleaned out.

On my many visits to the Temple, none of my characters noticed any speakers or the like that may be pumping in these sounds. Is there a lighting and sound control room in the Temple that we haven't found yet?

All kidding aside, could these sound reductions be implemented based on the removal of living (and undead) entities, per dungeon level perhaps (or by death count totals), or would this be such a modding/scripting nightmare that I should be publically flogged for even suggesting it.

I'd try doing this myself, however....

"Dammit Co8, I'm an insurance adjuster, not a modder!!"

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's a good idea, but unfortunately there's no way to scale sounds in the way you describe. It would probably be preferable to not have anything like that at all (the seemingly temporary effects) and stick with more generalized ambience, but ... such are the perils of trying to engineer that stuff. ;)

We could easily take out the screams and footsteps altogether though.

3. Emirkol the Chaotic

Now that's agood alternative!

If anything, footsteps and screams reductions should be scaled per level, I guess. As I'm not a modder, I'm not sure if it would be easier to do per level or based on the number of creatures removed (read: killed).

Yet this may only work (or better yet, make more sense to implement) only if the party is determined to "cleanse" the Temple, regardless of the party alignment. With evil party looking to join forces or such and not slaughtering everything in sight, it wouln't make any sense to scale back or remove the background sounds. At least for realism purposes.

Unless the evil party was soooo powerful and uber cool, that all Temple denizens, living, undead, etc. were held in silent awe as the party moved through.

(To avoid an argument.... OK, OK, Good parties can be powerful and uber cool too! There, happy?!)

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Insurance adjuster, script adjuster, protos.tab adjuster, its all the same thing. Get modding!

5. Emirkol the Chaotic

Well, I never thought of it that way Ted. Thanks for the bit of inspiration. Perhaps it's time after all....

Our Host!