Adding to the Spellbook Pt II

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kuraylon, Jun 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kuraylon

Kuraylon Member

Boccob's Beard! I've never felt more overwhelmed. Going over all that code is mind boggling. particularly when i haven't had any computer programming since 10th grade... Discouraging but I intend to try dammit! But given my ignorance, I'll probably be asking you pros lots of stupid little questions. All I ask is bear with me and hopefully I will prove a worthwhile student.

So for my first dumb question: what's the difference between a .py and a .pyc file?

2. Kuraylon

Kuraylon Member

It's Alive!!!

Woohoo! I know it may seem like small taters to some of you guys, but aside from a slight discoloration (oh yeah, it's RGB not RBG) my first spell works! Ok, admittedly, it's just a cold damage clone of scorching ray, but the important part is I'm starting to understand how this gibberish works! Which actually got me to thinking (duh) is there a decent tutorial out there for this stuff? So... is there?

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

can some one please do a tutorial for moding spells. I don't know where to start

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorry, ask the person who came up with Scorching Ray itself :)

Got one working already? kewl :Crazy_Tig

Did u see my suggestions in the other thread? Just ideas, cold ray is great!

O and 'pyc' appears to be sometihng manufactured by the game itself, i wouldn't worry about them; its more than a py copy but i don't think u need touch it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  5. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

.py is python source.

.pyc is python compiled. If source is newer than compiled, then TOEE (actually, the python sub system) will compile the file to .pyc when it runs.

-- dulcaoin

6. Kuraylon

Kuraylon Member

Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, I sorta figured it out last night that the game itself created the .pyc. I saw your suggestions, Shiningted, and the ray o clumsiness will be cake to implement, since, like you said, all I need to do is copy the good ol' RoE and change str to dex (and I'll probably play w/ the colors, too).

As for the vulnerability thing, yeah, it'll probably take me a while to figure that one out, i still don't even know exactly what half this stuff means. But if I can ever figure it out I'm going to base it off of "Spell Vulnerability" from the Planar Handbook (which is really neat cause they actually take the resultant penalty to their SR versus the spell itself, thereby vastly improving its chance of success, but I digress...).

I'm currently working on the spell "Ice Shield," a spell from the Frostburn book that's essentially a slightly more powerful stoneskin, but with the danger of fire vulnerability. I'm patching it together out of the Stoneskin and the Fire Shield code (I'm reminded of the Goblin Churgeon from Magic), and should know tonight whether or not it works.

And someone please, for the sake of my sanity, listen to the rabies-infested hyena-man!

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

:imwithstu
    I don't know how to do any spell modding whatsoever, so if your not going to tell me how to do it, then make me a spell of hold [person, animal and monster] :blegh:

8. Shiningted

Ummm, u mean one that does all 3? Thats a good idea. (I started writing this as "we have those already, clown!" then realised what u meant ;))

9. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Sorry, but the spell "Hold monster" already holds every kind of creature that may be mindly-affected (so, not undead or golems). The idea of adding new spells would be great, especially if you're gonna to create spells that goes from 6th to 9th. But please, if you mind to share with others new spells from your own fantasy, keep them aside into a separate file.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I have some suggestions for new spells,

6th level
    Globe of invulnerability
    Greater dispelling
    Acid fog
    Mass suggestion
    Otiluke's freezing sphere - cold ray and globe of cold
    Circle of death
    Mass haste
    Tenser's transformation
    7th level
    Delayed blast fireball
    Insanity
    Power word, stun
    Mordenkainens sword
    Mass invisability
    8th level
    Protection from spells
    Incendiary cloud
    Power word, blind
    Mass charm
    Sunburst
    Horrid Wilting
    Etherealness
    Iron body
    9th level
    Power word, kill
    Dominate monster
    Weird
    Time stop
    Wail of the banshee
    Meteor swarm

11. 0rion79

Great, but if memory doesn't trick me, they are only arcane spells. What about divine and natural (druids) spells?

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Ok ok maybe there isn't room to change hold monster, I wouldn't know I don't know how to mod spells, but the spell that I really want is flesh to stone and I thought that having one hold all type spell would suffice as it doesn't last as long.

13. Shiningted

Lets not forget 'wish'!

Here's the d20 implementatioh:
    Only the last one seems undoable, the rest is simply implementing existing stuff in the game.

Might make a mess of the radial menu though :p

14. 0rion79

It should be quite easy to make some spells for paladins and rangers too that fills the III and IV level slots. Often they are a copy of clerical and druids spells.
    Also, implementing the moderate, serious and critical versions of mass cure wounds spells should be quite easy. Many spells are just stronger versions of low level ones. Not to talk about the stronger versions of Summon Natural Ally and Summon Monster, even if many are probably missing.
    A request too: is it possible to have magic items with permanent effects, like the ring of freedom of movement or the ring of fire resistance, to have the icon of their spell-permanent-effect active all the time over the small PC portrait during the game, like Baldur's Gate? It would marginally help the player to set strategies (sometimes I forget who has the ring of freedom and who has the ring of fire) and it is nice, I think.

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I know they're all arcane spells, but I was pressed for time this morning and besides I'm an athiest!

Our Host!