Add over-5-PC crack to new release . . . yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Mar 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

My point about all this was...

Think about the end-users who aren't "hackers". HOW many questions are asked here about the order to patch things in, and how many problems have come up for people because that order wasn't followed originally?

I'm not trying to be provicial and snotty about "end-users", here. My point is, they want to add a patch, and just have it work, most of the time. People can't be bothered to read docs, or remember details, they pretty-much just want to PLAY. And I can really understand that point of view.

So it's best (IMHO) to make this an option for the "hackers" of the group who have to read at least *something* to enable it, and therefore should have SOME idea about the risks of doing so.

I'm all-for having the option, but not something that can crash the game if you "don't know what you're doing" being turned on automatically for every end-user to get bitten by.

-- dulcaoin

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

;) I guess stranger things have happened, but I'm completely convinced.

Now I find myself in the odd position of having to shoot down my own thesis in a thread I started. I should have been a politician. :p

As far as the why, well, enough said in dulcaoin's post.

Morpheus - having 2 temple.dll's in the DL would IMO be an unfair load for people who aren't interested in the crack. Probably best just for those of us who still want it to keep hacking it.

Also note, as I mentioned above, that it sounds like Livonya's NPCs will be much more interesting to have around, based on the number of scripts and mods she say's she's added for them.

dulcaoin - one last gasp for air before I give in completely: would it be possible to ID and change the code that (normally) checks to see if you've got any available slots before allowing NPCs to be added to the party? For example, without the crack, a ninth character (NPC) can't join the party if there's already 5 PCs and 3 NPCs. Could the game be instructed to prevent a ninth party member from being added, regardless of what percentage of the party is currently PC or NPC?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

The thing is, even it's turned on, it's not obvious you can have more than 5 PCs. Only 5 slots show up in the party management screen. So people would have to read the documentation that says "Hey, you can now use more than 5 PCs, this is how it works" which could also include "If you try to have more than 8 total party members, the game will crash."

4. Gaear

I'm thinking this is the way to go . . . just have it listed (stickied, ideally) here somewhere where it's easy to find.

5. dulcaoin

I'd like to ask once more whether the .exe can be hacked to allow for a command-line option to determine whether the hack is enabled or not.

Or perhaps reading an environment string?

I realize that the space for mods in this manner is getting tight, and the space might be better used in some other way...

An alternative might be to create a patcher .exe that will do the "dirty work" of installing the hack in a somewhat intelligent manner, so it doesn't have to keep getting "hacked in" with new releases (I'm presuming that the file offset to patch in the value has been changing?)

-- dulcaoin

6. Gaear

No, I think its always the same. For some reason I always have trouble finding it, though . . .

7. dulcaoin

Patcher EXE now available

OK, I created a patcher .EXE to solve this problem. But I can't upload, it's 215KB, and the limit on .zip's here is 100KB (huh? Anyway...)

If anyone wants a copy e-mailed (especially Morpheus, so we can upload for everyone), please PM me.

-- dulcaoin

8. sweet_irony

sweet_irony Member

As a regular player and not a hacker, I would say just put something in the faq about scenarios where npcs come in packs and add the hack OR just limit the amount to 7...

9. dulcaoin

The .EXE I created today allows you to specify any number from 1 to 8 to be patched in. You click a button, browse to your temple.dll (and you're ONLY allowed to pick files by that name), and it opens it up and displays the current value in an edit-box, complete with spinner control (hey -- I'm all ABOUT lazy here :p). You can change the value to anything between 1 and 8, and click a second button to update the value in your temple.dll (the old copy is backed up for you automatically to temple.dll.bak). It's about as straightforward as I can make it.

Oh, yeah, it checks the previous 6 byte values for the specificly correct pattern, to try to ascertain that it's patching THE right temple.dll in THE right spot, too (I'm also ABOUT thoroughness).

Now I just need to get it uploaded here to the board. Morpheus, help me out... :)

Once people have tested it and like it, it can become a part of the dist if people like. Lots smaller (and flexible) than two copies of temple.dll hanging around...

-- dulcaoin

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Neat. Check your PMs, dulcaoin. ;)

11. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

12. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I agree, this is the correct way to do it.

13. BoogieMan

BoogieMan Member

Nice!

Dulcaoin's patcher worked great for me. Thanks alot!!

14. dulcaoin

Glad to do it, easiest program I ever wrote. spOOL gets the real credit, though. I'm just standing on the shoulders of giants when it comes to the patch location.

:)

(Borland gets a large heaping of credit too, they made such a program terribly easy to write).

-- dulcaoin

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well this issue seems settled - well done folks - but i will add my 2c for what its worth (and its worth approx 2c, for the record).

I can't see myself using the more than 5 thing, but am happy to have it in there by all means, as long as it doesn't crash the game, which it does, so I have to suggest it b something that is only activated if u specifically want it and are aware of the dangers (as people said above).

I mean, I'd hate to have the game crash just as Fruella pushes her way in, she's my favourite...

Our Host!