About the CTD on Door Icon Use ...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by grinner666, Feb 4, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. grinner666

grinner666 Member

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled the game ... I think it's TWELVE TIMES now and the problem keeps recurring. Every time I do this I delete the entire Atari folder after I've uninstalled ... not just the ToEE folder. Last time I even shredded it from my trash bin, just to make sure it was really gone.

Yet every time I run the game, the same damned thing keeps happening. I'm beginning to think whoever reported that removing the game and reinstalling made the problem less likely to recur was huffing fumes at the time. :stoned: Am I doing something wrong? Has ANY progress been made in fixing this problem?

2. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I've personally never heard of this bug before. Did you run through the ToEE install guide? Are you sure you have everything necessary for the install? If you're missing even one crucial file, it can screw up your entire installation.

Here's a link to the installation guide, incase you don't have it:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3300

3. grinner666

grinner666 Member

This was mentioned in the "Common Issues And Solutions" thread, first page, by Gaear.

MY problem is that I not only can't access areas in the dungeons and in town, every time I try I CTD. And yes, I've read that thread, and follow the instructions there. Religiously, you might say ... if you were playing a cleric ... :biggergri

4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

That's the problem with ToEE... it's as unstable
    as Win98 (sorry Ted ;P) It works one day and
    the other not, no matter what you do and how
    hard you try... I'd recommend turning off program
    control with your antivirus, re-installing the game
    installing newest DirectX turning anti-aliasing off
    and sadly, starting a new game. :(

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

While there may be similarities, it sounds like your problem is quite different from the common issue you quoted above. In the CI, the doors don't even appear, much less fail to do anything. In yours, you get a CTD, which suggests that it's more of a map problem (i.e. a problem with the map(s) you're trying to go to).

Are you running ToEE through the front end program? If so, deactivate the current module and then launch a regular unmodded game (through ToEEFE). Do you still have the same problem?

6. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

it happens fairly often with me. the secret doors do not appear for me. the way to make sure your particular game is "broke" search for the secret door where the zombies live in the moat house. also, if you try to get into the back door (the secret one leading to the bandits HQ) and can't find that. then you're sure to have that particular game unmanagable.

the first time it hit my game was when i added the version 3 upgrade. i was the only one to have this problem on the forum and several people didn't seem to believe me.

HOwever, later more and more people came up with the same problem.

there must be some sort of bug with certain operating systems/hardware configurations that just create a bug to appear.

others on the forum have probably never had the problem.

i listened to krunch and graer: just delet every game you have saved. don't un install the game and re install.

just delete all games and start over. if you search the back way into the moat house, you might be facing a need to start the game over and delet any saves you have.

good luck

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

An attempt to fix the secret door issue was made recently and added to the CMF. I don't know how successful it was, but there don't seem to have been any 'i got hit by the dang secret door bug!' complaints since then.

Assuming, as Gaear said, this thread is a different issue to the secret door bug.

8. grinner666

grinner666 Member

Well, it's happened AGAIN. I'm going to try ... ONCE more ... and this time won't use the secret exit from the moathouse until I'm ready to meet the idiots from Hommlet and their brigand friends (I've been exiting via the secret door before that until this point.

If that doesn't work, I'm hanging it up unless somebody comes up with a fix. I'd rather re-play a system that WORKS than continue to try to play with something that doesn't. Thanks very little, Atari, et. al.

9. grinner666

grinner666 Member

Okay, I think I've finally figured it out. The CTD on door use seems to be caused by starting a NEW GAME before you've deleted all your old games. I'm not certain since I've experienced the problem very few times, but that might be what causes the inability to use doors and find secret doors. I'm not absolutely certain, but that seems to be what caused the problem the few times I experienced it without the CTD issue.

Hopefully this will give the more tech-savvy some clue that will allow solving the problem. But if it doesn't, at least everybody will know how to AVOID it.

Hope this helped, everyone.

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

You need to have a "clean" game before you start. Check everything, maps, pyc files, delete all old games. Make sure clean cache is checked. Turn off autosave and don' use quicksave. The game gets corrupted easily, so make sure everything is right before you start.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

And, cleaning Windows does not hurt, either, as most people NEVER clean their Windows. :)

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The thing is, one corrupt saved game seems to corrupt the ones around it: so thats y the solution was always to delete the saves. And yes, u don't restart til AFTER u've done it.

Thanks for getting back to us Grinner :grin:

13. grinner666

grinner666 Member

No, no, no. Sorry, guys, you misunderstood what I was saying or I just wasn't saying it clearly enough.

The problem seems to be caused by starting and saving ANY new game when you've got another one saved ... not just corrupt saves. It's been my experience that if I have one adventuring group's game saved, then start ANOTHER GROUP for the sake of variety ... saving that second game corrupts the first.

Which, as Shiningted pointed out, then proceeds to corrupt the new game ...

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

okay - Yes, we understand what you are saying.

Here is what we are saying and presenting to you for your benefit.

You can MANUALLY save many, several games yourself during the course of an entire game of ToEE and, normally, NOT suffer any corrupted saved games AS LONG AS you do NOT use quicksave and do NOT use autosave.

plus - We are also saying this.

If you use autosave OR quicksave during an entire game of ToEE, you can experience corrupted game saves during the same game of ToEE, and, if it happens, you may have to delete all of your saved games from that entire game of ToEE.

Bottom line, Co8 recommends you do NOT use quicksave and do NOT use autosave, neither one of the two. Otherwise, you can use one or the other or both of them; however, use them at your own risk and do not be surprised if you experience corrupted saved games.

Our Host!