Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by cloudropis, Jun 6, 2019.
That's far too easy! Your ward plant is swamp lotus.
@Shiningted: Temple+ would gladly take your suggestions!
What about having Zuggy as your ward plant?
Bah... what man hides behind a plant ! I bet your father smelt of elder berries.
Has anybody used invisibility/sneak/hide options in the game for stealthy movements? What are they practical for in the computer game, particularly sneak?
Sneak seems way over-powered to me. With decent move silently and hide skills, you can "sneak" right up to and past most enemies, while moving in plain sight. Even at level 1, a rogue can sneak very effectively against the weak opponents you meet at early levels.
Edit: sometimes my rogue will get "stuck" in sneak mode during combat, even after making a melee attack, and gets to use sneak attack every round.
Sneak/invisibility is how I approach most encounters. Surprise makes or breaks most combats for me.
I once set my rogue to sneak intending to test how many times I can walk rings around the Groaning Spirit on level 3 of the temple, it was a fair few laps before combat started.
I only use sneak to explore and get rid of the fog. Sometimes to get the map to Nulb before finishing Lareth. And I suppose it's somewhat useful if you want to do certain Temple quests early, like rescue Thrommel or Trilahi and Sir Juffer.
Otherwise, I don't see it as all that effective, personally. The entire party can't sneak, so that leaves one character getting in close for a sneak attack then being vulnerable. I'm sure there's the occasional use, but overall, in general, I don't see it as a very useful tactic.
I use sneak or Invisibility to act as a spotter to allow spellcasters to throw a few AoE spells from long range. Of course, there are a few places where a buffed(Enlarged,Protection from fire, protection from evil,etc) heavy hitter with a holy,axiomatic,keen Glaive can initiate combat with a Whirlwind supported with a fireball or two can be quite "entertaining"
On one of my early run-throughs, I rescued Prince Thrommel on my first visit to the temple with the aid of Furnok's Ring of Invisibility. Can't remember how he came to lend it to me.
Somehow, in a few of my games, Furnok and Fruella get eaten by Giant Frogs/Toads.
The ring of invisibility is somewhat useful, but pretty soon hide and move silently skills get the job done without magic.
How exactly does "Fight Defensively" work? I assume that since you can toggle it as a free action, the AC bonus only comes into effect once an attack with the corresponding malus has been performed?
As far as ToEE is concerned, I think "Fight Defensively" and "Total Defence" are separated into separate options from the radial menu. Fight Defensively specifically should be enabled before attacking.
FYI, if there are any rules related question you have, the SRD will have info on how it SHOULD work in ToEE, and the majority of the time it will be presented exactly the same in ToEE at least 95% of the the time. The other 5% is either approximations of the Rules As Written, or a bug we haven't squished.
Right, but the thing is that in the engine, for example, I can select "Fight Defensively" even after performing my attack for the round, which had me thinking this might be a potential exploit to simply toggle it on after every round's attack and then deactivate it before the next.
Perhaps you should test to see if the AC bonus is actually applied until that character's next turn or not. If the attacks had been made, it should not then allow the bonus to AC. You can expand the roll breakdown window in the bottom right corner to see the bonuses that have been applied to your checks.