About Balance

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Oleg Ben Loleg, Dec 30, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

OBL,

A quick test suggests the Max HP settings work anytime. Either that, or I was incredibly (un)lucky to find a random encounter with 3 trolls that all had 84hp.

2. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Thanks, I will use that option to make the game more challenging.
    And I think it is definetly underpromoted that there is a way to set a difficulty level in the patch. Probably most users either don't know that option or, like me, don't understand it.

Happy New Year to everyone

3. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

Ultimately though it is up to the player whether to do the NC content or not. If you feel the NC content making your party OP, just leave it for later.

That said, even without the NC, late game tends to be pretty easy anyway. The game tries to overwhelm you with numbers rather than sheer power, which doesn't really threaten high level adventurers (Its also part of the reason why Fireball and Cloudkill are so damn good). It also doesn't help that AI is somewhat exploitable as well.

Don't most DMs in the PnP do that anyway? >_>

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Nah, ragequitting is for when the game crashes after finally defeating the Balor, or getting all your recent saves corrupted, forcing you to go back 5 hours. Popamolishness merely invokes the "Decline!" / "I'm too :monocle: for this" sentiment :)

Level scaling is ok if done sensibly, I think the main gripe is with bad/ridiculous implementation thereof (e.g. common bandits all of a sudden packing rare uber gear, and the countryside becoming swamped with dangerous monsters as you level up, making you wonder how small settlements manage to survive; or conversely a big scary dungeon boss scaled to be beatable by a level 1 character).

Nope, as usual for the Codex, it's a troll :blegh:

5. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

And then I am overpowerd for most of the NC stuff, well....
    But I have used the options in the TFEX Menue: Max HP for NPC's (from levels), and Max HP for NPC's (from HD). Together with a couple of minor restrictions (not using fireball, holy weapons) this makes the game Definetly more challenging and it's much more fun to play. Really, really recomending to anyone who's played the game already for a couple of times.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ Well, you can do as I sometimes do and not bother with vanilla content and just play NC. It's really easy to set NC flags, and all you really need for the final battle with Zuggy is the skull. So just visit one priest (don't even have to fight iirc), grab the skull, and head over to NC!

Our Host!