AAAARRRGHHHH elemental plane freez up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sprool, Oct 17, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sprool

Sprool Member

I keep getting freeze up when I am trying to walk around the elemental planes. It seems to be the worst in the fire plane. Is my system to weak or is this a bug. When I control alt delete the task manager tells me my cpu usage is 100%. If this is a bug is there anyway to minimize it?

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

This is a known issue. We as yet have no complete solution for it. Turning down your graphics settings seems to help, and there has been at least one report that unfogging the map helps. The only other advice that seems to help is to not scroll the map while your characters are moving. Usually the game will unfreeze eventually, though it may take a minute or two, sometimes longer. Minimizing the game (alt+tab) seems to speed this up sometimes. Krunch has posted some hardware solutions for this in his hardware thread.

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

my solution is to scroll using the arrow keys not mouse in the nodes.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Also check out Krunch's thread on hardware setup's that minimise this.

5. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

I don't know if this doesn't work for other people or not, 'cause I keep reporting it and nobody ever responds, but it definitely works for me to solve the really bad spots (esp. the fire plane). The solution for me is, basically, to chuck a fireball ahead of me to get combat started. I've found that the worst scrolling lockups and freezes happen when I'm right on the cusp of having a nearby enemy detect me. When I initiate combat with an area-effect spell, they become aware of me, the game stops trying working to see if they detect me, and it goes back to normal. This will not eliminate all the slow scrolling issues (and I find using the arrow keys helps here), but the major sticking points (there's also one just outside of Senshock's room on level 4) go away when I force combat in this way. Hope that helps.

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Check the Windows drivers installed for updates...try windowsupdate.com first. If ToEE runs poorly, then, try the manufacturer websites for updating the hardware that is installed.

* Update the drivers for the motherboard before updating anything else [cause it's a good idea]...reboot and, then, grab other Windows updates. If needed after updating from windowsupdates.com, then, proceed to install hardware manufacturer Windows drivers.

** Also run disk scandisk and defragmenter after updating the drivers.

*** You could also run full antivirus & full antispyware scans.

Check my hardware thread for greater details and specifics, as well as lotsa general info.
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2443

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I'll betcha there's no problem with the little circles around the feet of the opponents changing to red, either!

<This one's for Thorsson>

Fireball the Bastards!!!
    (c) Fireball the Bastards, Inc.

8. Sprool

Sprool Member

It seems that my first instinct to light my computer on fire and throw it out the window may have been too hasty. Thanks to all for the advice. I will start with the most simple solutions and go up from there.

Muchas Gracias!

Our Host!