A real crime....

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Black Dragon, Apr 21, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Member

I will start by saying a few things to everyone:

1) I'm grateful to the people who took the time to create and run this forum for the Temple of Elemental Evil game. Also to the people who created the fan fixes, which makes the game worth playing.

2) The makers of this game should be ashamed of the mess they made with this game. I'm an older fellow who used to play the original PnP D&D game, including the Village of Hommlet (was labelled T-1 back then), and I was really looking forward to playing (after I paid good money) this game with smooth sailing. This game is very buggy, laggy, and needs more detailed user help menus. Once again, Atari and there co-owners of this game owe a majority of the profits they made to these people who actually tried to help them fix these issues. Do video game makers ever try and do some quality control and actually PLAY the game in it's entirity before releasing them?

3) If someone, anyone could help me, I would be grateful. Here is my problem: I have installed the 3 patches you all suggested (Patch 2, Fan fixes - latest release, and the new temple.dll) and did this like 2 days ago. I went through Hommlet, completed all but one quest ("dating the herder and sucking up to Eddie" one) but now, everytime I get a chance for a new quest and accept it, it never logs to the log book and consequently I can't do the mission??? The log book lights up yell on the menu, but never shows up...Can't finish the "sweeping her off her feat" or anything in Nulb, including the Brothel quests.

I'm really desparate people - please help me!!

Thanks everyone,

Drew

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  2. Rook Hudson

Rook Hudson Member

A possible cause of your dilemma ...

This problem occurs when you put Elmo at the left most position in the party line, position one. I don't know if it occurs with any other NPCs in position one, I haven't tested this. If this is the cause of your problem just make sure Elmo is not on the left most position in the party line-up on the bottom of the screen.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's a good idea to always have a PC there, never an NPC.

4. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Yeah, that spot is reserved for your party leader, really. I often put a rogue/mouthpiece there, as it makes for unlocking things possible while still having everyone selected. Just a convenience thing. Anyway, the party leader is not going to be a hireling, so they probably didn't plan thoroughly for what might happen with an NPC there.

And as ever, it's not really Troika's fault they didn't have time to polish the game the way they wanted. Many of these issues might not have been there, had Atari been unabsurd about things.

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I have seen times when a npc is in the lead, you can't get through a door. I think a PC has to be the one at the door or stairs, but I'm not 100% sure of this. I'll test it when I go back into the game.
    I just tested it several times and a PC is the only one who can go through the door first. If a NPC is at the door, nothing happens. I always wondered why the formation was so different on the other side. Elmo might be in the lead, but a regular party PC will be the first one in. A party PC may not be your strongest door-stopper, but oh well. Elmo makes a good door-stopper so the bugbears don't get your wizard.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  6. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

this is a silly question Black Dragon but im asking it just to make sure. when you open up your log did you click the tab at the top to switch it to the Nulb page?

7. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Member

Hey Rook ! Great call man - I put Elmo there due to hit points. That corrected the issue and thanks to everyone, especially Rook. Oh and Lord, I could not even get the Nulb page due to this...thanks for tip though!

Our Host!