A question about starting equipment

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Wintershade, Apr 22, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Wintershade

Wintershade Member

Hello everyone :) I'm new to this forum, and first of all I would like to thank everyone in the Co8 team for making ToEE such a great game.

Now, I've got a little "problem" (more like a question of convenience), and I've done a bit of searching around, but couldn't find any solution to it :(

Anyway. I've installed the Circle of Eight Modpack v6.0, but would like to skip the starting equipment purchase map, i.e. I'd like my characters to have just some generic "automatically assigned" equipment, and to start adventuring ASAP.

Is this possible with the Co8 modpack active, and if the answer is yes, how?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

There is no way to disable the shopmap in the modpack. That said, you can simply exit the shopmap if you want none of it (acvtivate the portal), but this will send you out into the world mostly naked. Otherwise, you could approximate the generic equipment you seek by simply buying it in the shopmap.

3. maalri

maalri Immortal

Well stated Gaear.

Welcome Wintershade! You can be in and out of the Shopmap n aobut 5 minutes if you try. You can "personalize" your characters a little there, if you'd like, but if not, just grab the first thing that fits the class and go.

Enjoy.

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Start_equipment.mes is still functional if you wanted to customize, but it would take awhile and most things are available at the shopmap anyway. Enough money is a slight problem.

5. Wintershade

Wintershade Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! And thanks for being such a friendly community. BTW, I hope I didn't offend anyone by bluntly stating that "I don't want this mod", since it actually is a splendid idea.

Actually, I guess I owe you all an explanation. The thing is that I am running a D&D (actually Pathfinder) game myself, and my girlfriend has shown much interest in the game, so I thought we'd use ToEE so she can learn the rules more easily. Furthermore, she is playing a necromancer in our team, and as much as she's doing pretty well (beginners' luck + being very imaginative), she feels that she should learn a bit more about combat tactics. So I figured that either ToEE or Icewind Dale 2 would give her the opportunity to learn this. Eventually I opted for ToEE, since it's much closer to the Pathfinder ruleset than IWD2, and it looks much prettier (which was a winner for her).

Now, since she doesn't have much experience with the game or the ruleset, I wanted to make this all for her as easy as possible. Buying a starting equipment for all classes might be a challenge for her (like I said, she has very little experience with RPGs), and if she buys the wrong stuff, it would be a dealbreaker for her because she'd end up dying too often. OTOH, I wanted to install Co8 modpack mainly because of the bugfixes it provides.

I hope this all makes sense to you. If it does, then I'd like to ask a bit further...

1. Is there a version of the Co8 modpack which provides a fair amount of bugfixes, and yet omits the "starting equipment" map? If so, which version is this?

2. @wizgeorge mentioned the Start_equipment.mes being still functional. Where can I find this file, and how do I put it to good use? It might seem like a viable solution.

Thanks again everyone! :)

6. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Start_euipment is in Toee root/data/rules. It was what was used before the shopmap. All classes are set to 6142, farmer garb. Go thru Description.mes and see what all is available. Fighters don't start with platemail+3, so the oppurtunity to cheat is high. But it doesn't cost anything and doesn't cause problems like the console does.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

You may replace the Co8 altered file with the original - attached (extract to data\rules).

That said, I believe girls enjoy picking out clothes and accessorizing ;)

Attached Files:

8. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Yeah, I think he's actually worried that she won't make it past the third shopmap room.

9. Wintershade

Wintershade Member

Umm... I don't have that file there. Well, all my characters still look like plain farmers, but the mentioned file is missing in my installation.
    Could it be that I've done something wrong? Or does the Co8 modpack v6 simply not use it anymore?

Alright, alright... so you've caught me :D

Thanks for the attached file. I'll tinker with it a little :)

10. void

void Member

Just do the purchase phase for her and give her a save before entering the portal. It will be the quickest solution,

Our Host!