A new module to ponder...

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by OgreBattle, Jul 17, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. OgreBattle

OgreBattle God of Rhye

Developments!

Okay, I now have the ToEEWB figured out (for the most part), and I successfully got the ToH map in progress...

As coined from Ted... I FINALLY RTFM...

OB

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

We already have an "OB-1"; you shall henceforth be known as OB-2.

3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Be sure to inform us about your progress.

Oh and

Glad to hear that OB-1's back, BTW.

4. OgreBattle

OgreBattle God of Rhye

DAMMIT! First roadblock...

:yikes: How do I recreate a minimap off of an original big map? I tried using the splitter/recombiner from ToEEWB with no success. Any ideas? Oh I got the big map working, now I get to fill it up!

OgreBattle

P.S. OB is a tampon brand...:blink:

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Re: Developments!

:scratchhe

Spelling it out is okay, too; but you abbreviated it 1st. :shrug: Still, OB1 is who he is for a reason. Read his Elves in the Temple fan-fiction to discover why.

6. OgreBattle

OgreBattle God of Rhye

Okay, here is the first screenshot of the main map...

I hope it passes muster for a noob :D

Attached Files:

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@OgreBattle you must recombine the big map, resize and save it at both 1/4 and 1/8 the original size then split the small maps into mini maps...

It helps if the smallest map's pixel count can be divided into even numbers of 256 pixel chunks, making the larger minimap require double the number of 256 pixel chunks. It's not essential to make the main map conform to this rule, but it would help.

When the maps are split, the chuncks are automatically named by the splitter/recombiner, if you were to recombine an original map, a text file will be created with a grid reference in it, using and editing this text file to split your minimap will assign the correct file names for minimaps assuming the grid reference is correct (It's a trial and error process to get the map to display in the right spot).

8. OgreBattle

OgreBattle God of Rhye

Look at my last post.... I finally got it. :dance:

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thats a start :)

The minimap - f#%$ its a pain. I still haven't cracked exactly how to line it up. ShadowDragoon put some effort into investigating it and his results suggest positioning has to do with the maplimits values - the KotB ones will be trial and error.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The main map should be divisable into 2048 x 2048 pixel chunks
    The larger of the mini maps should be divisable into 512 x 512 pixel chunks
    The smaller of the mini maps should be divisable into 256 x 256 pixel chunks

Make sure that the main map has the correct canvas size and it should make the mini maps easier to get working.

11. Shiningted

Ahhh, but the main map and the minimaps work off a different canvas :( Main map has a lot more black section.

12. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

What I usually did back in the day when I tested ToEEWB splitter/recombiner was: I calculated the topmost meaningful area of the original main canvas (the non-black area on the top left) and wrote down its pixel coords (X,Y), then I did the same for the original minimaps (1:4 and 1:8), and then I aligned the new map (both the main map and the minimaps) to the given coordinates, which simplified things. Basically, you need to make sure that the meaningful area should start at the same pixel coordinate as you wrote down, or at least be offset from it at the same distance. You can devise other similar methods of doing things: use the pixel coords for the top-left meaningful box of pixels, etc. It's still pretty tough (yeah, ToEE system of coords is a major PITA :( ), but you can get it to work with a little trial and error, simplifiying it for yourself using approximations to figure out where to best place your new canvas.

- Agetian

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  13. OgreBattle

OgreBattle God of Rhye

Progress Update (... or lack thereof)

Okay, here is where I am so far...

I got the main map split / recombine and the sectoring thing down. I nearly got the minimap orientation correct (you are right Ted, tis a PITA...). Now here is the make or break factor on this project.... for you graphics - CAD people, feel free to slap me with prejudice...

Now, I have installed the following software...

AutoREALM, Bryce 5.5c & DAZ Studio, Campaign Cartographer 3, Google SketchUp 6, World Creator, and of course the ToEEWB, and E-Tools for creature development.

Now with all that you think I could be flying through this project... er... no.

My basic issue is this... I need to import the 2D map in isometric view and start building up the room interiors - I have spent many hours trying to figure out how to do the map import (and to get it to stay still), so I can drag and drop the walls and other textures onto the map prior to splitting and copying to the art/ground and the /townmap directories.

Sounds simple enough, but NONE of the software has obvious walkthroughs (that I have found) that will guide me through that task. I want to stay the course on this project, but the obstacles are discouraging.

Okay... let me have it! :notworthy

14. Shiningted

Well... for one thing, you wanna be asking this in the 'Maps and textures' forum ;)

Check it out, especially stuff from a few months back. Some of our current cartographers such as Ax Thrower left long detailed threads of both their problems and their discoveries - these are threads, not tutorials (though we have a few of those too!) but they should tell you everything you need.

15. OgreBattle

OgreBattle God of Rhye

Work resumes...

Hey there,

Just got the laptop back from the Geek Squad (INSERT TAUNTINGS HERE), so I'll be resuming the effort of ToH, once I figure out how to draw an isometric map based on the original 2D map... [I'm an audio dude... graphics elude me somewhat]...

Our Host!