A few more beginner questions.....

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by bigmit37, Aug 20, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. bigmit37

bigmit37 Member

1) What exactly is the point of "Clean Game Cache option when you start the game?
    I usually leave it unchecked because I am not sure if I would be losing anything.

2) The "Search" command? When exactly do you use this command? Is it obvious when to use it? For example, I might see a book case highlighted but when I go to examine it, nothing happens. Would this be when I use search?

Or is it something that looks part of the background, and I have to randomly just search areas that look like they might be suspicious.

3) How exactly do sneak attacks work? I notice that Furnok randomly gets them. Is being in a certain attack position helpful? Like attack from the back of the creature?

4)Detect Magic? I am assuming this is a passive spell. It detects spells and magic items.
    When it says spells, it means traps right? And Magic Items? Would this mean hidden chests?
    Or are there really Magic items hidden on the floor?

Well, that is for now. Thanks!

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

1) It stops bugs by removing compiled files for stuff which you may have patched over. Check it :)

2) To look for secret entrances/passages/stairs

3) Will leave to rules guys - but get to back or side of enemy is always good with rogue.

4) No idea :)

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Sneak Attack

If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

from http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

'Clear Map Cache' should be checked any time you install new stuff, such as when first starting your Co8 mod or after installing a CMF (patch). It also performs the cure-all (or snake-oil) function of deleting .pyc files.

I can't think of a use for Detect Magic in the game, but it is certainly a seperate thing to Detect Traps.

Our Host!