A few equipment questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by General Ghoul, Jan 9, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

After eternal lockups, i had to start again, this time with Co8 5.5. Not sure if i liked the beginning room with chests, I kinda liked the roadside merchants, but no big deal. Do the backpack and pouch do anything, or are they just for show?

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

For now, just for show. ;)

3. General Ghoul

Thanks for the reply, I do love the right clicking of most equipment for description, especially what weapon type or armor type (light, medium, or heavy).

Next question, who can better use the elven armors? Will it interfer with arcane casting (bard) or rogue skills?

4. GuardianAngel82

Short answer: No to both questions.

5. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Better short answer to the arcane spells: Yes, but not much. :flamed:

6. GuardianAngel82

A better answer is always longer. I was just too lazy to give a longer answer, which, BTW he may have wanted. :asleep:

Damn, I HATE waking up on fire! :rant:

Hey! It tells a story: :asleep: :flamed: :rant:

Moral: Don't smoke in bed.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Surely there's a better answer to 'who can better use the elven armors?' than 'no'? :biggergri

8. General Ghoul

I've got the green elven armor on my bard, and twice his spells have fizzled due to armor???

9. Shiningted

Hence, "yes but not much", perhaps?

My bard has the purple stuff, hasn't failed a spell yet, but then rarely casts them. She has a +2 longsword and seems to lead the melee for some bizarre reason :scratchhe

10. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

In the stats you see when you mouse over an armor, there should be an arcane spell failure percentage.

If you can't stand spell failure, then you're going to have to go with bracers of armor (until you can make a robe of the archmagi). You can also use a mithral buckler, since that has 0% spell failure.

Edit: Although, thinking about it, bards are supposed to be able to wear light armor without arcane spell failure (so you can wear, say, a mithral shirt or breastplate). Isn't the elven armor mithral chainmail? If so, it should be light armor, and not causing spell failure for bards.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  11. Shiningted

Yah: is your bard bearing a board? Shields have an arcane spell failure amount too (the elven bird-shield's is 0% - use that).

12. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Blue elvin chainmail is the best, 5% spell failure and with the shield at 0% you rarely fail. Plus, +4AC and the shield can be crafted to +3 for AC5. Max dex bonus of 4. Great combination. Too bad there's only 2 sets in the game.

13. William_2

William_2 Member

I have wondered about that, too. The "Elvin Chain" is part of the armor selection in the game (the most important part, in fact, I would argue), but is not from the D&D rules. So, is it light or medium? Mithral or not?
    It seems as though it is medium armor which varies in terms of spell failure, either for magical or material reasons. If material, then all versions can't all be mithral.

14. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Elven chain is actually in the SRD:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#elvenChain

Which says it's mithral chain, and specifically says it's light armor. However, it says the spell failure percentage is 20% (which is what you get for mithral chainmail), so if some of the elven armor in ToEE is less than that, there must be something else going on with it, assuming the base item is supposed to be elven chain from the SRD (they're all pre-enchanted to various degrees after all).

15. General Ghoul

Pretty sure it was a normal shield causing the fizzle.

Next question, any real difference between "small" armor and regular armor, besides weight. Bought some small studded leather for my human rogue, if only to save 10lbs.

Also, off topic, who gives the location of the ogre cave, I found it before, but can't remember how.

Our Host!