A bunch of question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ghfdhd, May 15, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Can you tell us exactly where you stand? How has each step progressed in the installation process, where are you hung up now, etc.

2. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that when installing the latest co8 module I got some errors right at the end but the installation completed.

On my last attempt at running the setup.exe, the installation completed as before and as before with error messages.

The error messages:

Setup

IPersistFile::Save failed; code 0x80070005.
    Access is denied.

Setup

Access is denied

Setup

IPersistFile::Save failed; code 0x80070005
    Access is denied

Installation completes and I check the launch co8 option

Different to before ToEEFEX now gives ''not root folder'' error message even though it is the root folder and toee.exe is in that folder.

All of the access denied messages might suggest that I'm perhaps not running as administrator but I'm sure that the account I was using was the administrator account.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Right click on the icon and go to properties, then compatibility tab, scroll down to the bottom and put a check in the box for "Run as Admin".

Vista, Win7&8 don't care if you're logged as admin, but look for permissions from the program start up.

4. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

The options you're talking about don't appear for me because I'm already logged in as admin.

5. sirchet

What OS, (Operating System eg; XP, Win7, Win8, Vista) are you running?

I'm always logged as admin and these options are available on all programs.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  6. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

''What OS are you running?''

After re-installing patch 2 ToEEFEX now starts for some reason. It still hangs upon activation though.

Maybe I'll try reinstalling patch 1 and 2. :shrug:

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@ghfdhd, it would help us to help you if you answered the questions asked and carried out our requests; e.g. "what OS are you running?" was not actually answered.

It is important that you follow the installation instructions explicitly, so randomly reinstalling the Atari patches is not necessarily in order at this stage. Did you ever actually start from scratch? And if so, please state what happened at each step.

8. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

''@ghfdhd, it would help us to help you if you answered the questions asked and carried out our requests; e.g. "what OS are you running?" was not actually answered.''

Oh woops, I meant to answer that hence quoting it. I'm running XP service pack 2 dxdiag 9.0c.

I've started from scratch a few times.

I actually managed to get into the game today, but the .exe was deleted again, despite disabling my antivirus and putting toee in the list of exceptions. :shrug:

9. sirchet

Do you have McAafee as your AV?

I had to completely uninstall it and switch to AVG to stop it from deleting the .exe.

10. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

I'm using avast. Does this mean I need a new anti-virus program if I want to play co8?

11. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

I'll be doing another clean install, but before that I obviously need to do something about my anti-virus.

Any suggestions for a nice free anti-virus?

Then there's still the issue of ToEEFEX hanging (Last clean install didn't help if I recall correctly). I can still play co8 despite this. Apparently it installs at least partially. Don't know what kind of bugs I'll be getting but at least I'll finally be able to play co8.

12. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I use AVG Free Edition that you download from the internet - I wouldn't download anything but the basic anti-virus as the AVG toolbar comes with a logging text file that grows to enormous size.

You need to add ToEE.exe to the AVG exceptions list

I must say I don't understand how you can terminate a front-end activation that has actually hung without a hard re-start.

I believe that so long as the "pointer" is moving the activation has not hung up - I have a laptop running XP (bought in the fairly early days of Vista....) and have supper while waiting for activation to occur.

13. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

Is there a reason that you havenĀ“t updated Windows XP to service pack 3 even if only for the security updates?
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10767

Our Host!