A bunch of question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ghfdhd, May 15, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Only if your off hand is empty. If your off-hand is equipped with a weapon, but your main hand is free, you get a barehanded attack.

2. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

''Failing above perhaps you could uninstall everything and try again just in case Patch 2 (that is apparently essential for the console didn't take properly)''

I may have missed a few keys when I was pressing everything while holding down shift. I've already tried re-installing though.

''Is there a file that enables/disables the console?''

I haven't found an ini file yet. I did find the cfg file, which has no mention of the console.

I wonder if it might matter that a tablet is used on my computer or that some console controllers are plugged into it.

My thanks to everybody for the help so far.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Have you tried unplugging the other controllers?

Just a thought.

4. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

''Have you tried unplugging the other controllers?''

Just a thought.

I'm fairly sure I have. I'll try again though. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

Tried unplugging the controllers again. Unfortunately it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestions anyway though.

Does it matter that I have Microsoft .NET 4.0 (or something like that) installed? I doubt I cleaned up earlier Microsoft .Net files earlier so perhaps the installation got a bit messy?

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The only thing that matters for the console is that you have Atari patch 2 installed. What is the date and size of the file 'toee.exe' in your ToEE root directory?

7. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

I am appreciative of your assistance. Very nice people on the forums here.

Modified: 18 September 2003, 12:49:02 AM

Size: 3.46 MB (3,629,056 bytes)

Since I don't want to create too many threads, I thought I'd also ask here about animate dead.

Will casting it affect my character's alignment?
    Can I bring the undead around with me?
    How many can I have (if I recall correctly the SRD says 4 HD per a wizard level, but how many HD do the dead you animate have?)

Edit: Minor tidying up.

8. Gaear

That seems to be an executable for patch 1, which would explain why no console. It would also probably cause other issues with your game - namely that since it contains the temple.dll file, you are not using the heavily modified Co8 temple.dll.

The question is, how did you get it? The correct executable is contained in the modpack and should overwrite in a proper installation. However, there are issues with some antivirus software wherin it deletes toee.exe because it thinks it's a trojan. If that happened though, that should leave you without a toee.exe and unable to launch the game at all.

Questions - did you manually replace the file toee.exe with some other, and maybe more signifcantly, are you actually using the modpack at all? If so, I would suggest you reactivate the modpack in TFE-X and start over, as your game is likely in bad shape.

The modpack executable is only a few KB in size and should have a date from sometime in 2004. In order for Toee to run properly with the Co8 modpack, it's critical that those two files - toee.exe and temple.dll - be our versions.

9. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

Fortunately I haven't started playing yet. I've been too busy trying to find out this and that. :D

I did a clean install and then installed patch 1, then patch 2 and then TFE-X. After all that I installed and activated Co8.

I guess I'll try re-activating co8.

Edit: It sort of worked

Finally saw the shop map. Game worked for a few minutes and then crashed to desktop. The executable disappeared. Looks like my antivirus software is giving me trouble.

Edit2: Now I remember, I replaced the executable with the old one when I found the new one missing.

Edit3:

I thought I finally had it working but now the front-end just freezes when I try to activate co8.

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1337/06/1337060774507.gif

edit4: Fixed typo

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  10. Gaear

I would start it all from scratch. You'll need to deal with the problem with your antivirus (more info in my sig banner link below) or it will just happen again.

11. sirchet

Remember activation can take a looooooooong time, just because there is no status change it doesn't mean it's frozen.

It may be good to simply walk away from the PC for 10 minutes while it activates, you'll get a pop up saying it's activated when it's done. :)

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  12. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

''I would start it all from scratch. '' :(

That's exactly what I did. Clean install and put the exclusions on my antivirus.

''It may be good to simply walk away from the PC for 10 minutes while it activates, you'll get a pop up saying it's activated when it's done. ''

I waited half an hour :(

Thank you very much for the help so far.

13. sirchet

You might have to actually turn your AV off and not just make an exception.

I used to have McAffee for my AV and I had to completely turn it off to stop it from deleting files.

I now run AVG and it actually adheres to the exception folder I made.

Btw, have you read the thread attached to Gaear's signature banner?

14. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

The executable is no longer being deleted so my AV probably isn't causing any more trouble.

I don't remember TFE-X doing anything to convert my installation for use with co8 though.

15. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

Sooo... any ideas anyone? :D

Our Host!