5.8.0 NC Beta - Bassanio's chest

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by glee, May 29, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. glee

glee Member

I'm really enjoying this mod pack - many thanks for all the work that went into it!

I have a small problem though. I've defeated the Troop Commander (Bassanio?) and all his fire creatures in the Fire Temple (level 2).
    But I can't open his treasure chest!
    I've tried 'Knock' (it's magically protected) and 'Pick Locks' @ skill level 10 (failed).
    I have Alrrem's key (no sign it works).

Any offers?

2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

What kind of armor is your rogue wearing? Take it off to improve your DEX score. Have a bard sing COMPETENCE. Have a spell caster give the rogue CAT'S GRACE, buy the masterwork thieves tools in Nulb, use lockpick grease. Take SKILL FOCUS: OEPN LOCKS.

3. glee

glee Member

Thanks for replying. :thumbsup:

My lockpick chappie took off his armour before trying and is indeed using masterwork lockpicks.
    I will try adding 'Cat's Grace' though!

Are you saying that this chest can only be opened using 'pick lock' - i.e. there's no key and 'Knock' is blocked?
    (Incidentally Brother Smythe has already asked me to try opening a chest which apparently demands the same skill...)

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

That chest requires pretty high disable and open skills, like 18-20+. Check the skill points, they may not be high enough just yet. You may have to levelup and try later. If disable fails there's serious damage so keep everyone at a distance. I've lost a rogue and wizard there before.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  5. glee

glee Member

Well thanks to the helpful advice, I did get it open! :yes:

And the trap went off ... but my party survived.

Thanks again.

Our Host!