5.6.1 Point Buy Play-Through

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kalshane, Nov 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Go ahead and roll up some characters you like. An 18 in the needed attribute and a couple of other good scores are what heroes are made of, and a little help the 1st time through won't hurt either. Its about having fun, not being frustrated.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

• Prisoner dialogue: Alrrem and Romag
      • IIRC Allyx moved those merchants to Temple level 2, so that's why it was changed.
    • Spawning:
      • The merchants are indeed not 'spawned'.
      • The scripting that turns them off (OF_OFF) in accordance with Mona's divination has been removed in 5.0.0.
      • The scripting also used to switch them off in Level 1 and enable them at Level 2. This was apparently altered in 5.5.0 and 5.6.0.
      • The scripting no longer switches any of them off at all, so they all appear.

3. height50806

height50806 Member

Kalshane,

Love the updates on your progress! I've never had the guts to try using the Points method... Always rolled until I got at least one 17...

I figure that the heroes need to have at least one very superior attribute, otherwise they'd have taken up life as a merchant or teamster.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Member

I have made some point buy builds where I buy an 18 in the one primary stat. I find this works pretty well for classes that only need 1 primary stat like fighters. For other classes that need 2 decent stats, I have to go with a 16 in my primary.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Merchants: okay, since there's no need for them to be altered at all to accomodate Verbomod or Hickory Branch anymore, I think we'll just restore them to vanilla. Thanks Kalshane and Sitra.

6. Gaear

Just FYI, I see that the way the merchants actually work is that all 3 of the same type are activated by their flags as set by Mona, and after you speak to the first, they all run off like Kalshane said. So if you pick an 'easy to kill' fortune, for example, you'll get 3 sad merchants, and so on. That's why there are 3 mobs for each type. You'll never get 1 sad merchant, 1 heroic merchant, and 1 regular merchant, or any combination like that.

You can never get more than 3 cellmates besides Morgan, whether they be Ted, Ed, and Ed or 3 of the other types, which means there are always 4 prisoners in there, not 11 like the module says. Oh well.

Ted, Ed, and Ed work now, btw, if you choose the 'hilarity' option from Mona.

The temple 2 merchants are now non-speaking generics like in vanilla, and they aren't interested in escaping, like in vanilla.

Question: has anyone ever seen Ted, Ed, and Ed before?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Is Mona supposed to disappear after you give her the orb?

8. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    Mona actually moves to a new location (inside a building) after you return her orb. Serene and Riana join her if you purchase their freedom, ask them to join your party, and then later on, ask them to leave your party.
    The Royal Canadian

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Jeez, all these people moving around, I'm so confused now >___<

Also, is there any resolution to that long story Madame Ophelia tells you, about the crazy customer? And what's the deal with the colourful cloak team in the inn?

10. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    Go visit Mickey at the Brewer in Hommlet.
    The Royal Canadian

11. Gaear

I think Ausdoerrt means the new Nulb gang, including the gal in the brothel story and the guys in the Waterside Hostel with the cloaks.

There is no resolution to that now; it was meant as a 'preview' of TotWC content but will be gone from the next release anyway.

btw, you say you don't know what the deal is with the guys ... did you get all that info from Ophelia without talking to Wat first? If so that's a bug (doesn't really matter now, but still a bug). You shouldn't be able to get that story from Ophelia without talking to Wat first, and Wat explains (in lesser detail) about the guys in the Hostel.

Mona was moved to make her scenario slightly more realistic. She wouldn't likely spend all her days and nights in front of the brothel - not even while she was destitute, and particularly not after her financial problems are resolved. She should have at least been given waypoints in vanilla.

12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Yeah, I think Wat gave me a few lines about the guys taking up a room or something before going to the brothel (which he did despite finding out that I cleaned the M.H.); too bad you don't get to meet the vicious girl in the preview :love: I hope it's not someone we already know, like Mother Screng of Mona (that'd be hilarious though).

13. Gaear

It's not someone we already know. Congratulations on not arbitrarily attacking that gang, btw.

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, I'm getting there :evilgrin: I was hoping that a dialogue would start the battle, but all they do is ask for beer :bored: Also, I don't think that my party of 3 sorcerers and Melany is ready to take them on...

15. Thurstrum

Thurstrum Member

Well, pb seems absolutely doable for novice players. My gimpy party was fairly over- powered for everything in the temple and I only really recall the seahag battle giving me much trouble, mainly because you get dumped randomly out of formation inbetween two fairly powerful enemies. I've just beaten the temples high priest so we'll see if it ramps up any further and this is without crafting a thing besides the read magic helm. I can only imagine how easy things get when you have 3d10 on top of your weapons, +6 ac and unlimited fireballs.

Our Host!