5.5 Mod DH question

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Emirkol the Chaotic, Nov 26, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

You won't be able to until someone makes it compatible.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Have you tried bring TFE-X into the root directory of the Sitra-modded game you played, and letting it convert? (I haven't.)

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Actually no, I didn't hear anything about that, though I did see a TFE-X version of 0rion's mod on the server. Gaear thinks of everything. But I think you will find that merely means those mods are now available as native TFE-X modules, rather than old-syle ToEEFE mods that have to be converted. But unless Gaer has done some monumental editting of those that he hasn't mentioned, they are not 'compatible' with 5.5 - the only compatible stuff will be what is released in future as add-on packs. At the moment, 5.5 is the pinnacle. Installing older mods over it would be like installing patch 2, then installing patch 1 over it.

A pity the Atari forum is gone, or you could propose that idea over there, perhaps.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This.

There still seems to be some confusion over what exactly Agetian's ToEE Front End X is: it is, as the name suggests, a 'front end' utility that launches the game, among other things. What it is not is a 'mod.' Therefore, the Co8 'mod' and ToEE Front End are different things, even though they ship together in the latest modpack. Therefore, mods are not by definition 'compatible' or not with TFE-X, while they either are or aren't compatible with other mods depending on their contents. In the case of the newly repackaged TFE-X modules, they were simply put into the format that TFE-X prefers and is easiest for use.

TFE-X manages mods. Mods are the game elements themselves that we play through. So TFE-X can manage and process different mods, because it's simply activating and structuring their contents properly for play, while different mods cannot be played concurrently or merged, because their contents may cause conflict.

As applies to Orion et al, you cannot merge that mod with 5.5, for example, and expect anything but problems, because they are not compatible - they have files that will conflict in horrible ways. (Indeed, there is no way to merge them at this point because Orion's mod is a native TFE-X module, not an add-on pack. And we strongly discourage you from trying to do it yourselves.) You can, however, install Orion's mod and 5.5 as separate modules and let TFE-X manage them for you so that you can play one today and the other tomorrow or whatever you want without having to uninstall or reinstall anything.

So to recap: the fact that Orion's mod exists as a TFE-X ready module has no bearing on anything to do with the 5.5 module. They both exist as independant native TFE-X modules, but the fact that TFE-X can launch each of them does not speak to whether or not they are compatible with each other. Which they aren't.

5. GuardianAngel82

It looks like TFE-X is compatable with all the old content. So there's no reason not to switch the frontends on your old stuff, if you want. The only content that will work with 5.5.0 is IN 5.5.0 or in development.

If you want to mix and match content from different sources, which I've done, you will find it's kind of fun. But, if you can get it to run, its rarely stable, and what you have changed will rarely work the way you want, and, of course, you will have to start from scratch over and over. (which I have gotten good at)

IMHO, its easier to mod in what you want. The Vicks and Wedge stuff is easy to put into other mods, but it's kind of boring.

6. GuardianAngel82

What is the first add-on pack going to be? Or is a cmf 5.5.1 coming next? Perhaps the new KotB stuff is on the front burner? Or is a well-deserved rest presently on the agenda?

Whatever happened to the Naughty Melenie mod?

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Why must you torment me!? :angry: ;)

There will no doubt be a CMF 5.5.1 when we've got enough bugs to make it worthwhile and I've fixed them.

Scuttled for now. I still think that would be great for evil parties but Sitra thought it was juvenile/in poor taste.

8. GuardianAngel82

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gaear
    Therefore, mods are not by definition 'compatible' or not with TFE-X

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GA82
    It looks like TFE-X is compatable with all the old content.

Why must you torment me!?

To answer the question first: Uh...that wasn't really about you. But, hell, why not? If we weren't devilling you, you'd think we didn't care. :poke:

Those two quotes do not disagree. I'm just more positive than you. That's one of the first things I checked. They'll still be at least as buggy as they were before. But, they weren't that much trouble before. Were you trying to sweep them under the rug? Of course not. We want endless questions about them for all eternity, right? ;)

Oh, and more importantly: Thanks for the update. Too bad those questions will be asked about 20 more times before 5.5.1 comes.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
Our Host!