5.0.x Cumulative Mods & Fixes (CMF) Bug Reports and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by HobbesMG, Jul 16, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Re: 5.0.1 mods and fixes bug reports

...are greater Temple variants of bugbears. Iuz must've had Hedrack put something in the water of the lower regions of the Temple. :grin:

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

All these considerations aside, the dilemma still remains that any party is encountering what amounts to a damn fine fighting force on only the first sub-level of the temple. Maybe we should switch the guards to hobgoblins or something.

With that many badass, well-equipped soldiers hanging around (each chugging potions of cure serious wounds with impunity), I'd think the Temple would waste no time marching on Hommlet et al, and would wipe the town out with very little trouble at all (if the comparative strength of my party is any indication of the level of opposition they'd encounter).

Think of it this way: the relative strengths of the forces of good and evil in ToEE should be somewhat similar, otherwise there would be no real issue as to who takes over and the story would be pointless. Given that, imagine your party, the badgers, the town militia, and any good-aligned NPCs from Hommlet going up against the entirety of the temple's forces, including all of these badass bugbears, which number in the hundreds most likely. The good forces wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell.

That's what always occurs to me as I swing and miss and get knocked around with regularity by these guys, anyway. We should get the hell out of here and stop in Hommlet only long enough to warn the villagers to flee to Verbobonc (or wherever). :suprised:

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

The bugbears throughout the game have varying class levels. From none (basic bugbear) to the greater temple bugbear leaders (lots of levels). This was implemented by Troika and tweaked by me for 5.0 to comply with the 3.5 rules. Why do the Greater Temple Bugbears have more hitpoints than a Hillgiant? For the same reason a high-level barbarian does.

With the way combat and XP work in 3.5, it would be pretty boring to be fighting normal bugbears in the lower depths of the Temple. Easy fight after easy fight without gaining XP. Doesn't really make for an exciting game.

4. LCJr

LCJr Member

Sorry to intrude on your AC and Bugbear discussion but I'm running into an endless dialogue loop with the Tower Sentinel. Pretty new at this game so is this a Troika bug? Anyway using 5.01 fix Aug 3 when talking to the Sentinel the dialogue ends then immediately restarts regardless of option chosen. Got lucky and took him out with a AoO on a few occasions, have savegame if needed.

Did a clean install with the Aug 3 version and it fixed Brother Smythes Masterwork inventory. Only oddity I've noticed is Jak the leatherworker initially had Masterwork Leather, Studded and Hide. Any visits since he has the Masterwork version either none or 1 of the 3 armors.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

That will be something I've done. Will look into it now.

edit2: think I know what has happened, but just need a quick save to test the file works as intended. And then I'll upload the corrected one.

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I thought you got a bonus to hit when you tryed to hit a stationary object when not threatened

7. Zebedee

Hot fix posted in cumulative fix thread. Dopey modder error. Apologies.

edit: thanks for the save Lcjr - pop the hotfix into your data/scr folder and then clear your .pyc files. Encounter should work as intended now.

8. dagoo7

dagoo7 Member

Running 5.0.0 and just got to belsornig and indeed no script runs for im when first encounter. Nor can I initiate dialogue.

Sorry for the ignorance but what exactly is the "fix" referenced above and how can I access it? Is it available now or only as part of next version?

Particularly concerned because the game seems to start acting buggy after killing belsornig sans script. Once again, appreciate all the great work and apologize for the ignorance but this modding bidness is well beyond my limited technical horizon.

9. Zebedee

Stickied thread in this forum called v5.01 mods and fixes thread. Read the opening post. Download from the hyperlink in the opening post. Assuming that v5 was the last module you played then extract the files to the folder called ToEE inside the folder called Atari (this is the ToEE root folder).
    Go to the data/scr folder. Delete all files with the extension .pyc. (Note: NOT the files with the extension .py). Reload game and play with a save from before you met Belsornig.

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Monsters with character levels & other stupid rules is why I stick with 1st Edition; at least as much as possible.

It's not worth arguing, really. It will only deteriorate into a debate over the things someone already mentioned about how stupid some of the rules really are. It's an imperfect system that we cannot make perfect. I do think it's wrong to make plate mail work better for bugbears than humans, which is what this rule does.

11. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I would agree with you there Spike. A rule that made plate mail work better for bugbears than humans would be wrong. That's not what that rule does. The plate mail provides the same armor bonus for both, it's just that while humans start with a base AC of 10, bugbears start with a base AC of 13. The 1st Ed rules actually made plate mail work worse for bugbears than it did for humans. The bugbears got less of an AC boost from it than humans did. In my opinion (and I thought this back when 1st Ed was the only game in town) that is wrong.

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

hey if the plate mail fits, wear it.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

The difference is, that this change can now make them impossible to hit. That is a worse error than making it "less effective" for them, IMO. It is one of those situations, Blue, where we simply don't (and likely won't ever) agree.

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

thats where they need weapons with bonuses vs arnour light greataxe and greatswords which would totally negate any light armour.

15. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well if i remember right the reason for that was because the armor they were using was taken from adventures they had captured and the armor didnt fit them right and so wasnt as good for them. now im guessing these guys have armor made to thier size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!