5.0.0 beta mod tecnical help

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by blackfly, Jul 4, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I am using the beta 5.0.0 mod, and all I can say is a humble thank you to all who worked on it. I cannot wait for it to be an official mod. Truly brings out the limitless possibilities of D+D.

I am in Verbobonc, and the only problem I have is the last door (portal) on the right of the town, beside the underground complex. I cannot access the portal, I CTD. Now, I know that for other fixes you needed to remove files, so are there any to remove to fix this or patch up to? Please let me know what and how, I am curious what is beyond the door and I would not like to use up all my options getting to Verbobonc.

Related to above, will the rest of the game be strengthened with this mod? I notice that I gained 3 levels with an 8 man party with some hefty items to boot. I have not even started the temple yet and I am 8th level throughout. I do not see how the temple would pose a problem. Will the encounters be strengthened to compensate or how will the rest of the game deal with the added strength a party will get from the mod. The game did not figure on this originally, so I am curious.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Did you follow the instructions in the Cumulative Fixes, specifically the Verbobonc fix README.txt? I did say wierd things would happen if 2 folders were not deleted before adding the Cumulative Fix, this CTD your experiencing doesn't surprise me in the least. I certainly have no CTD's in that building, or anywhere else in Verbobonc for that matter.

Yeah if you can't get into the Viscount's house you are deffinately missing an important part of the mod, especially as some things he won't talk to you about while he's working.

I designed the Verbobonc mod as an add-on to the main adventure (kinda like a side-trek adventure in P&P terms) the rest of the game didn't get reballanced as a result, as the Verbobonc side-treck is completely optional. yes it will increase your PC's levels, but the biggest addition it brings to the game is the back story surrounding a (up until now) much talked about, but never seen, big city and the ruling body of the Viscounty of Verbobonc area (the Lord Viscount Wilfrick). Some parts of the mod are harder than others, which adds to the replayability of the mod.

3. blackfly

Thanks, I did read it and did delete the folders necessary. I will endeavour to find any more. I will let you know.

4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

But did you start a new game? That too is necessary. The changes will give a CTD just like you describe with pre-fix saves.

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Heh, I should've known that one. It didn't CTD before I started a new game when I was testing, but the day/night Xfer wasn't triggering the switch for the night time locations either.

6. blackfly

I decided to remove/patch up and it works fine. Thanks all.

I still insist that the added patch material will make a party too powerful for the rest of the game. I just entered the temple and barely made it through the door and found Verbobonc. As a 8 person party, I left with a party of 8th level, and there is no way the temple will stop me. I suggest that if the 5.0.0 is implemented, then the rest of the dungeons are strengthened too, otherwise it will be a simple walk through.

7. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I think that's going to be a problem with any additional material though in a game originally designed only to go up to level 10. I can't honestly think of any other way to have the additional content without having the issue of characters' levels being higher at the end of them.

The only solution would be a level check but that would kind of kill any immersion in the game ("hello again - aren't you meant to be in Verbobonc, not hanging around Nulb/Hommlett/the Temple still?").

Increasing the difficulty of the temple won't really solve the problem of the level increase as it just means 1) you reduce options for the player to do the game in the order s/he wishes and 2) further pushes up the level increase for the endgame.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ahhh, but the mods PRIOR to 5.0.0, and 5.0.0 itself for that matter, were about strengthening the monsters.

Go say hi to the Balor, for instance - u'll be glad you aren't level 8 any more like you were when u did it the first time.

9. blackfly

I have to admit that with all the mods I still found the Balor beatable, and although more difficult, I still was able to do it handily. The other 3 demons were, frankly, easy. I did ensure that my weapons were maxed out, magically, so perhaps that is a clue. The dragon in the 5.0.0 mod is awesome; I hope more pop up with greater treasures and greater challenges. I have yet to see a Gold or Red dragon yet. The possibilities on this alone are endless.

But perhaps later.

10. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Wait for it, Blackfly - I see rumors on the board that there may be a Black dragon respawn in the next upgrade - it sounds like it may not make the 5.0.0 cutoff, but these modders are going to get it done. THEY ROCK!!!:notworthy

11. blackfly

Thanks to them. I love this game, and with the mods you can see what D+D can do. If only Troika could of done it.

Our Host!