4...count them...4 inconsistencies...ah,ah,ah

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Jul 10, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I got a good laugh out of this one! :icon_chuc

Thanks!

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Well, I'll tell ya. I'm very sad inside now. I never did finish Hickory Branch, avoiding the ramp and whatever is on top of the ramp. I went back to finish that up and the game continually crashes when the characters first appear at the entrance to Hickory Branch. I figure the orcs and kobolds have had enough and don't want to see me anymore so they boobie-trapped the game from me, never letting me be able to do any action in Hickory Branch, not even letting the map get fully loaded before completely crashing back to my desktop. Is there a hot-fix for this or a work around or anything? I tried finding an error log in the directory but didn't see an error.log. Is the error log named something weird like .tfs? .mes? .pdq? .sol?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Had you fought the kobolds in the center of the map and looted the bullets from the sergeant? That's a known bug that causes the crash you describe. It's been fixed internally but there's no hot fix. It won't be documented in a front end error file because it's not a front end error. Sorry.

4. Necroticpus

Yup, I sure did kill everything before the ramp and looted everything before the ramp. I'll remember that for the next time through, though.

5. Necroticpus

I found something else that is the most exceptionally annoying so far ever in the history of ToEE. We're all 12th level, going down to the basement to confront Hedrak. We get there, start fighting and Iuz shows up because I didn't kill Hedrak in half a round like I normally do. Iuz mind controls my mage, steals the Orb Of Golden Death from her, takes 11 swings on my greater earth elemental (almost killing him), and about another round passes until Cuthbert shows up.

The problem here is that Cuthbert, when he and Iuz leave to go make-out, he doesn't even have the common courtesy to get rid of the mind control from the mage! She's still under Iuz's control and wanking away on the rest of the party with far more fireballs than than she had when I was running her! This cannot be borne! I had no way to get out of the temple. I wasn't about to walk all the way out again to try resting and then not having that get rid of the mind control. That's sooooo 8th level. :anger: :punch:

I will redo it and make sure to make a grease spot out of Hedrak before he can even move and Iuz doesn't show up to cause trouble.

6. shadow5

shadow5 Member

Something similar as far as mind control once happened to a party of mine with the lamia and fruella the fair.She stayed charmed no matter what I did.Break enchantment,dispel magic nothing helped.Her hubby knocked her out but she stayed in the dungeon as she stopped being a team member.If her hubby at a later date would sneak up to her he could initiate dialog,but as soon as the rest of the party arrived she would attack again . I had to kill her (in self defense of course)but it was the only time after I recruited her that I could get rid of her.Moral of story-marry Melany instead,she's perky.

7. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I think that is what we around these parts call the spell permanency issue. Knock out charmed Fruella, go to Jaroo, and he will destroy her and replace her with a doppelganger (just kidding!)

But that would be ironic, since he gets taken out by a doppelganger in RToEE.

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

In all the times i've done level 4 I have seen Iuz use a spell once. He used finger of death to kill Prince Thrommel once. I'm not sure what is up with that encounter, but I don't think it was suppose to go that way. I've never seen spell permancy in 5.5.0. Sounds like a corrupt game to me. Excessive use or an error in using the console can cause strange things to happen. Strange.

9. Necroticpus

I don't use a console. I just create a party and go where the game takes me.

10. Necroticpus

Time for another new inconsistency. I want it stated for the record that as of about 5:40 pm CST, my favorite and arguably the best ever spell in the game is prismatic spray. I strutted into the earth node, went into the far left galeb duhr chamber, where there's like 50 of them, and had the sorcerer let loose with prismatic spray. Out of all of those rotten, little, tough boogers, 1 survived the spray. The rest were gone! One shot. BAM! This is good for my soul.

Anyways, what I found was that if you use a disintegrate spell and the creature doesn't save, they experience a total protonic reversal BUT their loot is dropped where they stood. Now, with the prismatic spray spell, that doesn't happen. When you hose down monsters, everything is taken away, even their loot. The loot really don't make no difference to me as money has no value to me anymore. But if you were to use prismatic spray on something that perhaps carries a key or something really good, it will be gone forever. Say you use prismatic spray on Hedrak and he rolls a 1, failing his save. Everything on him? Gone. Just...gone. This is not good. Use it with caution.

11. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Well, IIRC to make it RAW the items themselves would have to make saving throws vs disintegration to survive. (Or in Prismatic Spray's case, disintegration or whatever other effect killed the mob.) If the mob was killed by taking HP damage or a P.W.Kill-effect, the items should drop, but I can imagine that being a scripting nightmare...

12. Necroticpus

Ya, perhaps. But I've disintegrated hundreds of monsters now and if they have loot, they always drop it. If prismatic spray makes monsters disappear, all loot goes with them. I've never seen monsters leave their loot after a very psychodelic, Jimi Hendrix day-glo black light poster death.

I don't think they went that far with RaW, probably because it's too tedious and hard and time consuming when they could be better spending that time on making a rampaging Tarrasque come barreling through Homlett du Frommage. :pelvicthr

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  13. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

Not an inconsistancy, one of the colors of prismatic spray is orange which causes acid damage. The acid dissolves the equipment. If you read the spell acid fog, the acid affects every object or creature. Disintegrate does not affected the creature's equipment as per RAW.

14. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Prismatic spray also has a purple and indigo coloured ray as well. One of these teleports the target to a different place. That could be an issue... maybe the game is maiing all of your rays teleport ones, in effect only.

Jeez... please tell me the haven't reworked that part of prismatic spray, via 3.5. :roll:

15. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Ah, I see the 3.5 Ed Disintegration spell specifically states it does not affect items, but for the Prismatic Spray, it would really depend on which ray hit the target. If the target was hit by the Violet ray it is sent to another plane - effectively killed with all items gone. Blue turns the target to stone (all items included, but conceivably recoverable with a Stone to Flesh spell,) Red, Orange, and Yellow do elemental damage (and according to d20 SRD at least magic items should get a save to avoid being destroyed,) Green is poison (possible instant kill that should drop the mob's items,) and Indigo ray should turn the target insane - I have no idea how this was implemented.

Like I said, a scripting nightmare to account for all the various possible outcomes...

Our Host!