2 super important tech nerd questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Necroticpus, Feb 11, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

The first one...where in the heck do I set a video player default in winxp? I want intervideo dvd program as my default but it don't have no options for it in preference or anywhere and I can't find it on the opsys.

The second one...if someone were going to completely cut off service for a landlocked line because he uses the phone maybe once or twice a year, what is the best cell phone service to buy and have my teenage kid carry around in case of emergencies? He don't talk to anyone either so I don't need no plan with more than 20 or so minutes per year on it.

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

#1 No Idea

#2 I would suggest a Virgin Mobile phone. They have no contracts, no so monthly bill. You basically buy a cheap phone and a set # of minutes. When those minutes run up, you buy more. This way you don't get crazy overage charges nor a monthly bill.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

3. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

4. Necroticpus

Ok, that looks good. If I pay $20, that's all I'll pay until I need more minutes. That is very nice. No monthly bills for something I don't ever use.

What I really need to know about is Magicjack. I don't understand how it works. How do you send a telephone call to a computer that don't have no modem? Does a computer send a telephone signal to someone's real phone and not another computer? What goes on? Explain it to me and pretend like you were explaining it to someone who has no !@#$%^& clue about any new fangled gizmos that have surfaced in the last 10 years or so.

I still also need info on how to change the default video player on WINXP. I'm going to give it another shot when I get home but I can't see it changing much from the tens of hours I spent already looking for it.

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

From what I understand, MagicJack works a lot like Vonage (if you have seen those commericals). I had Vonage before, and it basically is a real handheld wireless phone, and the base plugs into the modem (and then continues onto your computer). It can dial any phone number, so it can call a landline, a cell phone, whatever. The other person does not need a computer with internet access.

Granted, I am speaking from experience with Vonage. But I assume that MagicJack works the same way. Instead of using your phone companies system to transmit your voice, it uses your internet connection and MagicJack's service acts as a sort of hub. This way you dont have a normal phone bill, but instead I had a bill from Vonage.

6. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Also you need to buy the cell phone, but I think their phones can be cheap (under $50). They dont have all the fancy stuff an iPhone would, but they will get the job done.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I don't think you can make a single player a default for absolutely everything, because not every player can play absolutely everything. Still, you can open Windows Explorer, hit the Tools drop-down menu and select Folder Options, select the File Types tab, then select various video types from the list and click Opens with: Change to select from the players available on your system.

8. Necroticpus

Awesome, Thanks fellas. Great info. Especially the default player thing.

Now why would they put something like that squirreled away where no one would ever look for it? If I were the opsys developer, I would put it under the most obvious thing, like the freaking dvd player.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sounds like something for 'irritating things' ... like who was the brainiac who figured that something like application control was best filed under 'folder options' ... :roll:

10. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

I'd check out SKYPE.
    It's a free phone service for your computer.
    Free to call anywhere in the world to another computer.
    You can also send documents or use it like messanger.
    You can also call phones.

11. Necroticpus

Awesome, the deals keep getting better. Are there any internet phone companies out there that pay ME to use their service and give me a free phone and give me a gift certificate for $100 off my next IP bill?

12. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Yes. The in your dreams company.

13. Necroticpus

After careful consideration I've decided to go with Magicjack. The phone service is free but they charge you $48 for the "magicjack", which is merely a phone adapter for the USB. $48 is truly a mega ripoff considering I could probably find one in any electronics store for 3 or 4 bucks, but the software that you need doesn't come with it. And I get to keep my regular phone instead of having a phone the size of a dime that would fall out of the hole in my pocket and I could use to twitter constantly while having 5 billion people in my social network. :roll:

These forums are about as social as I get. Even when I went to the bars I never talked to anyone except the back-ally-sallys an hour before bar close.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
Our Host!