2-handed bastard sword?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Clinton, Sep 4, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Maybe its cos I always max out the 2 weapon feats but, the more of those type of feats I give to Two Swords the less penalties she gets for fighting 2 weapon style (and yes it was only the bonus from being masterwork that I had +6 in the offhand... the masterwork giving +1), I also have never had a problem with equiping a shield if I've got EWP bastard sword once I've got that then the offhand slot frees up for me.

so is my game different that Two Swords has equal attack thingies for primary and offhand (I think that if I take one sword out of her hand primary goes up to 15, [strength 18, belt of giants strength, hanzo steel, just incase you're wondering why its so high]) or is it that with all the bonuses and stuff thats doing that and really both hands should be 0.

2. Clinton

Clinton Member

Didn't try it shield first. I'll do that. Thanks.

3. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Cujo:
    The Improved Two Weapon Fighting and Greater Two Weapon Fighting are only supposed to add additional offhand attacks (with just TWF, you get only one additional attack). The thing about the light weapon is this: it's not that the offhand has a penalty if it's not light, it's that both have higher penalties if it's not light.

Works like this:
    Two non-light weapons and no feat = primary -6, offhand -10
    Offhand light and no feat = primary -4, offhand -8
    Two non-light weapons and the TWF feat = primary -4, offhand -4
    Offhand light and the TWF feat = primary and offhand both -2

Adding the TWF feat subtracts 2 from the primary penalty and 6 from the off hand penalty. Using a light weapon offhand subtracts a further 2 from both, leaving them at a total penalty of -2. ITWF and GTWF just add a second and third attack for the offhand (with the standard additional -5 and -10 for secondary and tertiary attacks).

Example: 6th level fighter with 18 str, TWF, ITWF, and 2 masterwork bastard swords should get a primary main hand attack at 6+4+1-4=+7. Then he'll get a primary offhand attack at 6+4+1-4=+7 as well. Then come his secondary attacks for each sword at 6-5+4+1-4=+2.

By contrast, if he used a masterwork light weapon offhand, the primaries would be 6+4+1-2=+9 and the secondaries would be 6-5+4+1-2=+4. You'll do less damage with the secondary attack, but all four are about 10% more likely to hit. (Plus, in ToEE, much of the damage comes from strength or enchantments, and the weapon's base damage is pretty insignificant.)

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

thanks, that explains it.
    what if TWF and 2 light weapons?

5. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Two lights will be the same as off light and primary non.

6. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

Sort of off topic, but how does Hedrack wield his shield and hell hammer at the same time. I tried with my dwarf, but I don't know if it's because of his size, or just that Hedrack has some unknown feat. I can wield a tower shield +3 and a rod of smiting with no problem, so what's the big deal.

7. PharaunMizzrym

PharaunMizzrym Member

It's possible to wield his hammer if you're enlarged and that's what's Headrack doing in the first round - he cast Righteous Might which grants size one categoty larger, providing he is still alive in the first round.

8. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

Ah I see. Makes enough sense. Thanks.

Our Host!