13th Warrior

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Feb 8, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. William_2

William_2 Member

I would say it was still a longsword, even after being ground out of a straight sword. It had a small curve in it, sure, but not enough to be any of the curved swords.

2. William_2

William_2 Member

I tend to think that one of the most promient characters was very much implied to be a Rogue type, with the stealth and scouting. The others I agree were Fighters with some wood skills or Barbarians, but not Rangers that would cast spells/have animal companions. Then again, there just was not any (or much) magic, so I think it is a resaonable adaption to D&D to have Rangers.

In general, have run this kind of group, went smoothly enough. The lack of crafting really can get brutal, though.

For locks, I guess you left out buff spells and items, which can certainly be big helps. Gloves of Dex. and Cat's Grace can bump up someone with a few ranks into a mediocre thief. A Fighter with any Int. will have to have some CC skills anyway.

I suggest starting one of them with one level of rogue, perfectly in character for...that one guy...max out open lock and dis. device, and then level as a Fighter thereafter, topping thme up as CC skills.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I'd like to thank you all for your comments and I welcome more. I thought I would write down the names of the 13 Warriors (for posterity) as they were written on the end credits. I still have been unable to identify some of them with their names.

Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan (a.k.a. Eben)
    (King) Buliwyf - poisoned, failed Fort saves, died after last battle
    Herger (Joyous) - the one that does most of the talking, survived
    Edgtho (Silent) - Black hair / beard 2 wpn-fighting, survived
    Roneth - I have no idea which one he was, died 2nd battle
    Haltaf (Boy) - Red hair, survived
    Ragnar (Dour) - no idea, died 1st battle
    Helfdane (Fat) - breastplate, stayed behind in cave
    Rethel (Archer) - White Hair, died 2nd battle
    Halga (Wise) - no idea, died 2nd battle
    Skeld (Superstitious) - old, blond, long hair, died 2nd battle
    Weath (Musician) - Red hair, nose tattoo, died 2nd battle
    Hyglak (Quarrelsome) - no idea, died first battle

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

What are you going to do for their stats?

5. Basil the Timid

I'm still partial to point-buy. I'm also thinking that Combat Expertise might be very important, which may be difficult to allocate enough for intelligence.

I still plan to avoid taking a rogue PC, but that lightning trap is going to be tricky - so is the fire temple chest.

I think I shall only take 4 warriors and get them some women.
    (I wonder which babe will win that poll on the General Discussion forum.)
    Ahmed - Bard/Fighter w/ Weapon Finesse
    Buliwyf - Barbarian/Fighter (Great sword)
    Joyous - Fighter w/ Combat Expertise (bastard sword)*
    Silent - Ranger w/ Archery (but following two-wpn fighting tree, because 11th Ranger in ToEE does not get Greater 2WF, right?)

* And because it is a Neutral party, none can take full advantage of Scather!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  6. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Somebody brought along that big red dog (not Clifford) and the dog held his own in the first battle. Better than a few barbarians who got killed!

7. Basil the Timid

I started them with Vicks & Wedge's Mod. Are the ridiculous weapons the ONLY innovation of this mod?

I was reading some ancient posts here. Was this mod based on anything from Co8, like 3.0.4, or were they outside the Co8 fold? I thought I saw some people say it goes over Patch 2 alone. I'm just curious about the relationship to the early days of Co8.

8. GuardianAngel82

Don't forget the main charecters: Vicks, Wedge and...uh Mage. If I recall, V & W, had something like straight-36 stats. I enjoyed this mod several times. It was the only time I ever used some of those weapons. It seemed to be a good way to quickly get into the lower levels of the temple in a new game.

Think of it as a way to introduce people to the possibilities of character design. ;)

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I think it was a hand and a half sword. He could barely pick it up and certainly couldn't swing it.

After he ground it down it became light enough for him to swing, although he used two hands most of the time. :)

A great movie indeed!!

10. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

First: grinding the sword down was more like a scimitar, not a falchion, as a falchion is large and 2 handed, the curved shape of his blade was more like a scimitar IMO.

Second: I ran an all fighter party through a while ago. If you have ran through before, then you know what the best weapons are in the game already and should have each one specialize in that type. I used the point buy with 30 points, and one guy was a fighter/barbarian combo. So, without too much spoiling, I had 1 guy for each of these weapons: great sword, long sword, ranseur, warhammer, 2 weapons fighting (rapier & dagger), longbow, bastard sword, heavy mace.

as you can see, I used the option for extra party members and no npc's. I think my party was chaotic good to get the good bastard sword.

Third: Pros and cons. Pros - weapon focus, weapons specialization, and the greater version of these two feats plus an array of great feats make fighters deadly later on. Power attack, cleave, combat reflexes, the list goes on and on. Once you hit 8th level and get the good feats, you start kicking @$$. Even at 6th level, when you start getting extra attacks, things start working good. The damage from the already-in-game magical weapons works well against the final boss types and it's easy enough to hit them. Lots of hit points means good survivability. Good gear - there are lots of great armors, weapons and shields to fill out your party with.

Cons - appraise feat is cross class, meaning no money for most of the game. Also, hard to do most of the dialogue quests with no front man. You can have 1 fighter cross train each type of "talky" skill (bluff, gather info, etc.) to try and pick some quests up, but it won't be until late in the game. Chests - well, no chests for you. You can cross class open lock, but you won't be able to open chests until way late in game and have to suffer the traps. Lack of healing - randomly drinking the healing pots you find (as it's too spendy to ID them) is fun, but not very useful. Luckily, you put such a hurt on things you don't have much down time healing in the in. HA.

Overall - a blast to have all fighters, you can really kick butt. A lot of planning goes into each fight though, and some fights last a long time. Just remember to 5-foot step for those extra attacks and you should be ok. Good luck.

11. Basil the Timid

Thanks for the input.

The boys (4) are currently trying to take on the Tower at level 5. I decided that their reason for hanging around Hommlet after investigating the moathouse for Jaroo (Neutral Campaign) was to get women. So far, they have Meleny, Fruella, and the sisters. I figured Ahmed the bard prefers bigger women. If one meets with an accident (not Meleny), they'll bring Kella on board.

So, yes, I did decide to go with some spellcasting but, with the exception of Meleny, it isn't very much. Oh, I did change Riana into a negative cleric of Olidammara (which really isn't better than having two rogues). I do think it is funny that after sleeping in the house in Nulb, she comes down with filth fever. So do you know what it says when I mouse over her?

Answer: Whore........Diseased!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  12. GuardianAngel82

Appraise shouldn' t be cross-class for a bard.

13. Basil the Timid

Is there a special Ranseur??

Also, I have never seen Burne or anyone sell a Chime of Opening.

14. GuardianAngel82

In a closet in the Air Temple. ;)

15. Basil the Timid

I don't see any closets in the Air Temple. Crap! What am I missing! Please, throw me a bone! I've been friggin' frozen for the past 30 years.

Our Host!