13th Warrior

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Feb 8, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I have been pondering a Neutral party of all warriors and a bard. I am trying to think of the consequences of this type of party, including how many NPC slots I will need to keep open - I am guessing two. Here are some other concerns:

Recommendation for game version: 3.0.4 => 5.5.0? (or Orion's, Vicks&Wedge's, Sitra's?)
    I would like to avoid bringing cleric, wiz/sor, rogue; might bring Meleny sometimes:pelvicthr
    any alternatives to knock / open locks / cross-class skill?
    Should I make the #PCs smaller than six so they can level up faster?
    Any opinion on using Expertise / Fighting Defensively often to reduce need of healing?
    How to handle Secret Doors?

I look forward to friendly feedback (and from GA8too)!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Do you mean all fighter types or that the entire party can melee? Are you willing to multi-class?

I assume by GA8too, you mean me, as the GA8 model is obsolete. Come to think of it, the GA82 model is too. Half my GA email is from the alumni organization.

3. Basil the Timid

Yup, pretty much Fighters and 2 rangers, maybe a barbarian. I'd rather not multiclass them. The bard is the Arab. The Northmen can train him as a fighter when the bard class becomes useless after level 8, I believe

4. GuardianAngel82

Can you use the bard for locks and healing?

5. Basil the Timid

Sure, or the Rangers. They would be cross-classed for thieving, of course. I was just trying to think of another way to deal with that stuff. Too bad we just can't smash the chests.

6. GuardianAngel82

First thing I thought of. Seems moddable.

How about more more than one bard? Or the bard is higher level?

A lot of people seemed to have come up with with ways to squeeze extra skills out of thuggish types. Additionally, I'm pretty sure there have been all fighter parties run through in the past. Perhaps they can point out the bottlenecks.

7. Basil the Timid

It occurred to me that I will need Desperate Housewives for the experience and the Sandlewood box. I am therefore considering another go at Sitra's Reactive Temple/Trader's mod. Is there another mod that you recommend?

Usually I play with point-buy, but I am wondering if it will be feasible this time.

I forget. What is the deal with Ironman?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  8. GuardianAngel82

I recommend cheating the Bard, cobble together 4 other fighter-types, and go. Restart if you really need to change something.

IMHO, Sitra's mod runs better with 5.0.5.

EDIT: Ironman doesn't work.

9. Basil the Timid

What was your impression of Vicks & Wedge's Mod?

Can it be combined with DH if I use my old Frontend installation?

Edit: Ha! It seems that I don't have the old version of that mod for old FE anymore.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  10. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

I used 4 barbarians and a driud.
    Eventually joined up with Zaxis, and after a slow start reached 11th level before
    even clearing out the 2nd level of the temple.
    I didn't bother with any locked chests and there are ways around locked doors.

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, one only alternative for locked doors/chests I can think of is the Chime of Opening that Burne has - give your bard skill points in Use Magic device. A bard can also somewhat fill in for a cleric sometimes.

If you have an all-fighter party, beware of some fights - prepare to have trouble with fights against creatures with DR - Jackalweres might be a problem, ochre jellys will make you cry, Balor could be an issue. Also, you won't be able to craft, so make sure you consider the consequences - choose weapons accordingly (meaning, you'll have to have someone good with longswords, bastard swords, a neutral or evil guy with warhammer specialization, etc)

I am currently running a ranger and bard party, and it generally works out OK, but I really suggets giving the bard a few rogue levels - you get Open Lock and Sneak Attack. Although, with as many people as you want to have, you might not level fast enough to compensate for lack of class variety.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you're doing a remake of the 13th warrior, (great movie).

I don't remember any thieves, only fighters, fighters, and another fighter.

They used hand axes, bastard swords, and the star ground down a bastard sword to make a Falchion.

No clerics, there was a witch but she was on the other side. :)

13. GuardianAngel82

It is still here on one of the threads. No, it's not completely compatible with everything. But I've forgotten what you have to do to get it semi-compatible with the mainstream stuff. The main changes are the three wierd charecters and a TON of magic items at start.

I think you can make it TFE-X compatible by renaming a couple of files and repacking it in a third file, but I haven't tried it yet. Honestly, I would be surprised if it worked. ;)

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

It will work on its own: it will not work with anything else (such as DH), as Basil has already been told on numerous occasions.

15. Basil the Timid

I ask only because I enjoy your mod, Ted.

Wasn't it a scimitar? Or perhaps a cutlass?

Our Host!