0004: Error: inaccesible game folder

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by cern, Feb 27, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. cern

cern Member

Install instructions as per directions.
    Then prompt after KotBFE module install:
    "0004: Error: One of the game folders can't be accessed! Make sure that no other appplication uses any of the game folders, then try again."
    Clicked OK. Game then runs.
    (KotBFE Module description = 1.0.3 but game titlescreen = 1.0.)

Game still works. Normal or not?

One "bug" so far (could just be me). Sewer map is blacked out, other maps not.

Thanks.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thats a not-very-well implemented idea: that you don't get a map to the sewer, makes it more maze-like and mysterious.

Game still works, thats all that matters :) That error report can be caused by anything from other programs scanning your files, to opening KotBFE twice before starting. If the game runs, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. cern

cern Member

Good then.

4. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Btw, this problem is being addressed right now. Depending on how fast the testers will respond (and thus, how fast I'll be able to fix the remaining causes of the problem), a new ToEEFE will be released that will be, so to speak, much much more 0002- and 0004-proof. Stay tuned for an update.

- Agetian

5. bugnot

bugnot Member

I also get that error no matter what I do. The game still seems to work, but still not quite. I have tried starting several times and clean installing it over and over, but it always is the same.
    I have to fight a few lizardmen or a merchant O..o
    Once the battle is over nothing more happens and I can't go anywhere. The game does not proceed and well..that's it.
    Anyone know what is going on?

6. Shiningted

Are you saying you start a game, and there is just a few Lizardmen to fight? Could you explain a bit better? What does the map look like? Is it after the shopmap? Are these lizardmen on the shopmap? :questionm

7. bugnot

bugnot Member

Well, I start a game, I usually pick something neutral, right now neutral good and I end up where you start in the normal game, you find Y'dey dead and you have to fight a murderer. Only his name is changed to merchant.
    I kill him, and then nothing happens after that.

8. Shiningted

Yah... and you get the Lizardmen if you pick CG? You've got a seriously screwed up install. For one thing, you are using the ToEE temple.dll which is sending you to the alignment starting maps.

Please reinstall following the instructions in THIS thread, and then run the game with KotBFE.

EDIT: Hang on, you said you reinstalled several times... I dunno what to say to that. I would seriously uninstall the whole game, delete the Atari folder and anything left in it, and try again from absolute scratch. I very rarely give such extreme advice but you have gotten stuff mixed up across your different modules and I don't know how else to sort it out.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  9. bugnot

bugnot Member

That is exactly what I have done all the time. Starting from scratch. Gets pretty annoying after a while and I also followed those instructions you linked me to. I am now trying once more before going to bed. Will post how it went as soon as I have tried it.

10. biobaba

biobaba Member

this worked for me..... Install following instruction.. patch em up THEN drag all the files from "kotbdata" folder into "data" folder.. replace everything then delet the empty kotb folder...

You would still see 004 problem but after you proceed with the game it should be fine.... actually now for some odd reason I dont even see the 004 problem when I am starting up the game..

11. Shiningted

:eek:mg: Well i don't recommend that - I can't imagine what the Front End does when it is trying to move KotB out to play Co8 5.0.0! But if that works for you, fair enough.

12. biobaba

biobaba Member

if I dont do that I actually would get error 014 exact;y the same message but with this error the game wont even open...
    thanks for the heads up.. I wont play Toee 5.00 in this case then

13. bugnot

bugnot Member

I just tried both reinstalling from scratch and it didn't work, then tried to do the moving of the data files and the only thing different is that the merchant/murderer you meet when you play as neutral good is that he talked to me and joined up with me. Still nothing new exept for that. He was talking about that we had fallen down a hole, but we are standing in the middle or the street. Oh and the background music is like if we were standing in a swamp, not in a city like we are.

14. Shiningted

Thats funny, in a sad, tragic way.

Since you've come this far, try this (an appaling workaround I don't recommend to anyone else). Go into Atari/Temple of Elemental Evil/modules/KotB. You should find temple.dll. Copy it and then paste it into the Atari/Temple of Elemental Evil folder. That should make you start at the right map (the shopmap). Why FrontEnd isn't doing it, I have no idea (except to observe that no one else has your specific problem). Anyways, give that a go and hopefully it should all work :)

15. bugnot

bugnot Member

It's just tragic v..v
    I did as you said, but I still start in the street like I always do. Nothing changed.

Our Host!