What I *really* want to see in a patch...

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by SuperCow, Oct 5, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. SuperCow

SuperCow Member

I love the 1.0.0 fanpatch -- it's awesome that you guys are working on this stuff and I thank you for it. I don't want you to think that I'm not grateful just because I'm asking for more; rather, I want you to know what I think needs to be at the top of the priority list.

Although the bugs are annoying, the number one thing in ToEE that needs to be fixed (IMHO) is the lack of detailed item descriptions. It's unacceptable that there's no way for me to know exactly what a magic item does even after it's been identified. Also, I shouldn't have to look in the manual to remind myself whether a morning star is a simple weapon or martial weapon.

Do they expect me to look in the DMG to remember exactly what a staff of striking does? Some people may have this stuff memorized but I don't.

Anyway, if you're still working on additional fixes, please keep this in mind. It's the biggest issue I have with ToEE (which is still a great game in my opinion).

2. Xma

Xma Member

What I gathered about the original reason of item descriptions being unavailable is that Atari had put a limit (300K) on the number of words used in the game, due to traduction issues, and that Troika was already over that limit before adding item descriptions.

About a patch correcting this, it is in the works, don't worry. But it needs to hijack the in-game help system, so it is a bit harder to do than edit the data files for fixes (weapons/spells/...). So it wasn't on the first release...but it is being worked on. :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  3. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

Troikia might implement the unused long descriptions file in their patch (we can hope). They already hinted at it but their convos always are a little misleading or should I say they don't specify what they really mean good enough or what they say implies to. Hopefully their statement is how most are taking it and they already have allot of text into making the ID actually do something but...

Though you Co8 guys can still work on the help menu thingy :)

4. rex_blade

rex_blade Established Member

300k seems awfully small... and what the hell is traduction?

5. Shinigawa

Shinigawa Member

If the word he mentioned is one with a latim [sp?] root, it's translation. According to babylon, however, it's "rendering, transferal". [But, it does translate 'traduction" to portuguese, as "traduzir", which is effectively "translate"]

And I agree. The lacking item descriptions make it a little difficult to even know what you got [well, I do know most of them, but there are some 3.5 only and some new that I don't have the foggiest idea about =p].

And btw, what does a staff of striking do? I couldn't find it in my 3.0 dmg =p

Last edited: Oct 12, 2003
  6. rex_blade

rex_blade Established Member

It uhh... strikes?

7. Shin

Shin Established Member

Lareth's Staff of Striking: Staff +3, Damage 4-9, Charges: 20, uses 0-3 charges per attack, selectable from the radial menu. The more charges that are used, the more damage that is generated on a hit. A charge is only used up if one hits, so misses do not use a charge.

8. Shinigawa

Shinigawa Member

Yeah, that part I was able to figure out =p

Thanks for the description Shin.

Our Host!