Weapon Familiarity

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by jeffh, Nov 3, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Have any of the .dll fixes so far fixed Weapon Familiarity? If so, :dance: ; if not, I would like to request that this be done if it isn't too much trouble.

For anyone not familiar with it, Weapon Familiarity is the following racial ability Dwarves and Gnomes have:
    The problem is that right now this is only partially implemented in ToEE. It works fine if you choose a class that gets access to all martial weapons for a character of one of the above races; the character will get access to the above-named weapons as well as the full list of normally-martial ones. However, if you want (say) a Dwarf cleric with Martial Weapon Proficiency - Dwarven Waraxe at first level, you can't do it because that option simply does not exist. You can take those as exotic weapons, but not at first level (except with the classes that already get them for free) because of the +1 BAB requirement. These should be selectable options for the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat for the relevant races (but not for any other characters). Failing that exact implementation, there are various workarounds I could imagine that would get roughly the right end result (but allowing those weapons to be martial for everyone isn't one of them, as that would if anything be replacing a minor bug with a slightly worse one).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  2. Drew

Drew Kind of a prick

There's already a workaround in place. All dwarves automatically get exotic weapon proficiency in the dwarven war axe regardless of class. The same is true of gnomes with hooked hammers. A starting gnome illusionist is already able to use a hooked hammer with no penalty. Likewise, a dwarven cleric is already proficient with the dwarven war axe.

3. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

When was that added? It wasn't the case last time I played ToEE. (This is, incidentally, also incorrect by the standard D&D rules - those proficiencies shouldn't be automatic, merely available).

4. Drew

Drew Kind of a prick

That's why I called it a workaround instead of a fix. As to how long it's been there.....I don't really know. It's at least been in place since 4.0.0. I've never played the unmodded game and 4.0.0 is the earliest Co8 incarnation I've played.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
Our Host!