Pathfinder, a new movie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krunch, Apr 5, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

a new movie -> Pathfinder, starts Friday, April 13th

Enter the site and, then, click the video tab to watch the movie trailor.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Slowly downloading it. The very first image was a 'misty mountains' shot that looks like it was stolen lock-stock-&-barrel from the opening of LotR. I wonder if this was shot in NZ?

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

It was filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - but Karl Urban is a kiwi, I'm still tossing up whether I want to see it or not, movies that are right in the middle between realistic medieval representation and total fantasy bull shit are the sort I don't really enjoy.

4. Shiningted

Yeah, not sure myself - the dialogue was crappy and the premise hackneyed but the action might be great (and Karl Urban is a plus too).

I reckon we are going through a golden age of 'hit things with swords' movies though - a lot of ordinary ones but also some really top-class stuff like Gladiator and the LotR movies (and possibly 300, hasn't opened here yet). I think we'll look back at these as good times.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I do not expect this to be a great movie nor a huge blockbuster.

"Vikings came to North America 600 years before Columbus, they saw and conquered. They left a child of their own fruits. He was raised by survivors. They came back many, several years later. As a young adult, he defends the survivors against the vikings."

Hopefully, it is well made and is a good movie or, at least, will be entertaining. I'm willing to spend 16 dollars on a pair of tickets.

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

my problem is that I have a tendancy to take things apart, if a movie isn't obiviously sposed to be a little silly (like Willow or the more extreme silly of Braindead) then I get frustrated, especially when it could've really easily been changed. the vikings having horns or their helms is a good start for me to get over anything else which might fuck me off "because they got it wrong".

anyway I'm not sure if I want to shell out the $11.50 for a ticket when there are about half a dozen other movies that I want to see.

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I've been waiting for this one. The vikings didn't stay here for a number of reasons, not the least of which was their reception by the indiginous peoples. A plausible premise... :shrug: It's all about entertainment, anyways. Ted mentioned the golden age of sword films; I'll go one further - it's the golden age of graphic novel films, too.

There isn't anything about 300 that isn't top-drawer. Relish it!

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If the movie has swords axes and armor, with well choreographed battle scenes you can always watch it with the sound off and insert your own dialog, editorials. I've had allot of fun this way with some of the ridiculous movies the sci-fi channel shows. Of course you have to wait until it's released on DVD or TV, some seem to go straight to DVD.

ps......but I will see Pathfinder at the cinema, even with vikings having horns, (creative license I guess).

9. Lord_Spike

To see vikings without horns, check out the 13th Warrior.

10. Shiningted

To see more evidence of the 'Golden Age of hitting-things-with-swords-movies' we are in, also see the 13th Warrior.

11. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Hey are you knocking Eatoers of the Dead, I mean 13th Warrior? I liked that movie. Nice ballance of dialogue and hitting things with swords.

Cuchulainn.

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

the 13th warrior was pretty good.

13. sirchet

The 13th Warrior in my opinion, is one of the truest recollections of Viking Culture I've seen. How about that custom scimitar the 13th warrior makes out of his bastard sword, now thats a scimitar!

Who made "Eatoers of the Dead"? I can't find anything on it, could you fill me in Cuchulainn?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  14. Lord_Spike

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  15. sirchet

Lord_Spike:

Interesting read, I have a feeling the book is better than the movie. I see it was spelling that prevented me from finding any info. I thought "Eatoers" was a word that I wasn't familiar with, not a typo :)

Thanks again.

Our Host!