party creation and adventuring....confusion

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by bradrinwi, Sep 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

okay ive been following the boards..here and it leads me to a coupl of questions

if I have an 8 PC party...

will i get all the quest??

or is it like the old gold box games where you need a npc with you for some of them??

does the game freak out if i have 8pc/0npc allocation???at some points or does it not offer me some quest i might get if i had 7/1???

also do i need 7/1 or to be offered them or is 6/2 nessacery for some?

okay second question .. do i need the random random generator fix posted on the random encounter thread IF im running co8 3.0.4 liv 1.51 and ted 1.2.1??

as well as shop map v2?

lastly ive searched soccerers and elsewhere on the web.. and all the save game editors ive found do not work once ive got the mods installed
    (kinda strange...actually)

does anyone know of a saved game or PC editor.. that will work with the above mods installed and where on the net is it?
    (im not into the uber thing )..i like testing out unusual combos.. and editing saves is quicker then generating a bizzilion chars...
    thanks..

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

If you have 8 PC's, you can not have any NPC's (if you used Dulcaion's PCcount patcher - if you hacked the .dll manually to have 8 PC's the game will CTD when you accept an NPC in your party) some quests require you to have room for one (rescuing prince thrommel), two (pintark and tuelk) or even three NPC's (ted, edd and edd or Otis, Y'day and Murfles).

I think the random encounter fix is bundled into ted's mod.

3. bradrinwi

gotcha.. is there the ablitity to temporarily drop a pc and pick it up again later... and yes i use pc patcher..

4. Allyx

No, but you can repatch the .dll between games (say for example your ranger got himself KIA and your not too bothered about him). If you find yourself a man down dismiss him save and quit the game, repatch the .dll 7/1 or whatever, then you can rescue Prince thrommel...ect.

5. bradrinwi

cool:) thanks ..figured you wouldnt even reply to my post once you found out i am a Man Utd fan

6. Allyx

<Rooney> :clap:

<Referee> :point:

<Allyx> :evil_laug

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  7. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

My Random Random Encounter fix has been bundled with Ted's mod since patch 1.0.5, so if you have Ted's 1.2.1 installed, you have my fix.

I have yet to find or hear of a saved game editor that works. The only PC editor that I know of is on Sorcerer's Place and only edits pre-game PC files. It works most of the time, but if you try to add too much it corrupts the file. There are a few trainers that will change stats and gold (also on Sorcerer's Place), but that's all I know of.

8. bradrinwi

okay whats the name of the editor that works most of the time pre game.. and how do i edit pre game pc files??

ive tried some trainers but would like more control than just gold/stats i can do that with console

ive got FE 3.01a pro and the teds 1.2 with shop mod running..

only pc file i see pre game is gaint.toeepc

9. Cerulean the Blue

By pre-game I mean after you have created your PCs but before you click the Begin Adventuring button. After you create a PC it is stored as a .toeepc file in the modules/(name of mod you are running)/players folder. But you already new that since you found giant.toeepc that comes pregenerated with Ted's Mod.

The character editor I use is Ferros' ToEE Character Editor v0.7. You can get it from here. Once you have created your PCs quit the game, open the editor, click on file, then load, then change the directory to the players folder your characters are in, select a character to edit, and edit away.

A word of warning: TEC will create a backup of your character file, but I would advise making your own backup before editing. TEC sometimes corrupts character files, and this may extend to the backups it makes as well. Also, don't try to change too much at once, especially feats and skills, and save after every change or two. My experience is that the more you change between saves, the more likely your character file will be corrupted the when you do save.

10. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Undead Chosen One

As Allyx said - for some of "rescue" quests you need to have a free space in your team.

However, if you stil playing 8 PC party - game won't allow you to pass (or even hear about) some non-rescue NPC quests (like Bertram quest or this gypsy girl ouside the brothel). You can get those quests without dismissing one of your PC - just do the same thing Allyx said about killing-and-dismissing. Save game with your 8 PC team and re-patch the .dll to 7PC/1NPC - then load game. You will gain acces to above quests - but remember not to take any NPC (because of CTD)...

11. bradrinwi

okay cool

cujo: TCE works a treat.. my only question is can i use it on my chars.. once ive begun adventuring??? ie .. give percise shot to my ranger.. at his feat gain ..or X lvl...or some such..?

12. Cerulean the Blue

No. TCE only edits the character files in modules/players. Once you begin adventuring all character data is stored in the saved games, and since there seems to be no saved game editor, you are back to hex editing them.

13. bradrinwi

ahh gotcha:)

Our Host!