Out of the loop - what happened in last 15 years

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by pijani, Oct 26, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. pijani

pijani Member

Hi guys :)

I;ve been out of the loop in last 15 years - and I wanted to play TOEE again

So, what's new? I see the community is very much alive, I;ve seen mentioning of Temple +

And other things

[hr]

As a total noob, but experianced player who went trough TOEE hundred of times - what can you tell me about new things and improvements of the game? (hopefully new levels, one can never stop hoping:)

Links would be appriciated

I ask because I just started playing, and by mistake made my paladin dualclass into warrior - I wanted to delete the character and add new, fresh one - but no luck: although I can get character killed and remove him from party, I don;t know how to add another in his place (not NPC)

tnx for info! :)

2. pijani

pijani Member

I just noticed, in the main tavern, in front of the barkeep there is a book - if I click on the book I can access party members
    How strange, after all these playtroughs, this is first time I see it :)

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack
    Co8 v.8.1.0 modpack -comes in both Standard and New Content flavours, the Standard modpack contains mostly bug fixes and minimal new content.
    The NC (New Content) version contains the bug fixes of the standard version and also adds a lot of New Content which takes place mostly after the original storyline is complete. A full run through all the content should see a party of 5 reach approx 17th level. These mods are both compatible with Temple+.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/temple1
    Temple+ is a partial ToEE Engine rewrite, while many of the bugs Vanilla ToEE had have been fixed by Co8, Temple+ also fixes these and many more but without the added Co8's new content. Temple+ is also compatible with Co8 8.1.0 NC and adds new features like smarter AI (enemies will wake up unconscious allies for instance) and added some Prestige Classes.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-keep-on-the-borderlands
    Keep on the Borderlands is a new module based on the original 1st edition module, it can be completed from start to finish, but a few of the later areas are yet to be populated with enemies, and not all party alignment choices are selectable. You should see parties reach around 6th level by the time the module is completed. This mod is NOT compatible with Temple+.

http://www.co8.org/community/index.php?threads/iwd-toee-icewind-dale-demo-final.12072/
    Icewind Dale-Total Conversion is like the name suggests, a total conversion of Icewind Dale's content, into ToEE's engine. The entire prologue chapter is playable to completion, work on the folowing chapters is still in progress. Likewise it is a new module which should see parties reach 4th level by the end so far. This mod is compatible with Temple+.

Oh and err... welcome back. ;)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Gehennis likes this.
  4. pijani

pijani Member

Thank you :)

So what would you suggest, in what order should I install mentioned things to have the complete experience?

5. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Make sure the 3 patches are installed (just a precaution from my Paranoia(TM:p)) Install new content, Keep on the Borderlands. Icewind dale demo if you want, then temple+. you will have to activate NC, KotB, or ID. Plat the Keep under TFX but both greatly expand character generation, also, KotB is coming up sometime for an update so you could wait on that one (unless reality hits ted on the Head again:p)

6. florian1

florian1 Established Member

According to the Co8 installation instructions, only Atari patches 1 & 2 should be installed, but not patch 3. Has this changed?

7. pijani

pijani Member

and a silly question - I managed to make HP dissapear from my character avatars - what is the shorcut on keyboard to get it back?
    I know it is silly, but I think I tried all, and also, I don;t want to mess somethng else :)

8. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Yes, only official patches 1 and 2 are needed. Patch 3 not recommended.

I believe to turn the HP display back on, click on one of the PCs' HP bar and the numerical display should come back.

9. pijani

pijani Member

bravo! Thank you :)

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Installation instructions:

1) Install ToEE (but not in a "Program Files" folder).
    2) Install Atari patch 1 & 2 (not patch 3)
    3) Install Co8 8.1.0 NC (for additional content).
    4) Open TFE-X.exe, select Co8 8.1.0 NC from the list of available mods and Activate it with the button in the bottom left corner (this can take a while).
    5) Install Temple+ and run the Temple+ config.exe, identify thelocation of the root folder of your ToEE folder. Select any additional custom options while you're at this stage.
    6) Use the Temple+.exe file to launch your game from this point on (unless you are playing KotB - you should use TFE-X.exe to launch that mod).

OPTIONAL (but recommended)
    7) Install Keep on the Borderlands to the same ToEE filepath.
    8) Use TFE-X.exe to Activate the module (again this takes a while but is completely necessary as it switches the files to the new module).
    9) Use TFE-X.exe to launch this game.

OPTIONAL (requires Icewind Dale to also be installed on the same computer)
    10) Install the Icewind Dale Total Conversion mod.
    11) Activate the module with TFE-X.exe
    12) Point it to the location of your Icewind Dale root folder. (There is a known bug in this step, but if activation fails at this point, try again. Usually the problem goes away on it's own at this point).
    13) Activate the Demo patch 1 from the the first reply in the same Demo Files thread and install it, activate it as an Addon.
    (14) Use Temple+ to launch this mod.

Thats about it... there are also portrait packs for ToEE, Temple+, KotB, and Icewind Dale. All of which are optional and module specific, so each module has its own compatible packs, the Temple+ I believe has an enhanced maximum capacity for portraits, so if using Temple+, use that one for ToEE. The Icewind Dale portrait pack comes with the default IWD party characters as standard selectable characters.

11. pijani

pijani Member

thank you very much

Our Host!