"One of the game folders can't be accessed!"

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shellhead, Aug 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shellhead

Shellhead Member

I love Temple of Elemental Evil. I have beaten the game five times now, including once last year with the Livonya mod. Checking to see if there have been any newer mods, I decided to follow Zebedee's advice for the proper order to install the patches and mods. I didn't delete my old stuff, I just re-installed over it, starting with the original game disc. Everything went well, at least up through ToFFEE, which seemed to load okay and install that 300 mb file okay. Then I couldn't find the General Modifications part of the forum, regarding the Co8 5.0.1 patch, and I got impatient and just tried to guess how to install that, as well as the portrait and voice pack download. So I didn't do them through the ToFFEE interface.

Now I'm getting an error message:

"One of the game folders can't be accessed! Make sure that no other application uses any of the game folders, then try again." I don't know how to do that, especially since I don't know which game folder is affected.

Do I need to delete everything and start a fresh install? I don't want to lose the old characters I generated before installing all these changes.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Go to modules > Co8v5. Inside there is a folder called 'players'. That's where your characters are so there's no harm in making a copy of that, just if you want a backup.

Did you just unzip the v5.01 and the portraits pack to the ToEE folder after you had loaded up the v5 module for the first time? If you did, you guessed how to install correctly and the game should be fine. If you didn't load up Toffee, launch the v5 module and then unzip to the ToEE folder and v5 should run fine(but if you do this, don't try and play the ToEE module - it will be totally messed up) - if it doesn't then it's reinstall time..

I've seen the error message with Toffee before - if it is being caused by the same reason mine was, I doubt there's any reason to reinstall. I've actually posted on it in the v4 beta thread which Agetian has made. Have a look there, but in summary, Agetian believes it could be related to a background program (eg anti-virus) which is checking the files. Personally, I've found that the problem eventually goes away if you try it every five minute, it also seems to vanish after a reboot. Or you could just switch off your anti-virus and see what happens (just to be on the safe side, don't connect to the internet without your AV on).

If the problem persists and none of the above solutions work, then I suggest feeding back to Agetian on the thread devoted to the v3.8 Toffee or even downloading the very latest v4 beta and trying that, and if the problem is still there, feeding back about that.

Hope that helps.

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I had that same message last night after re-installed some stuff that I accidently shift deleted, I can't remember how I solved the problem, but I think it was cos of background stuff running.

4. Shellhead

Shellhead Member

Thanks for the tip on the Players folder. I peeked in there, and all my characters are there. I'm going to make a backup copy of that, because it looks like I'm going to delete everything except for the download files and do a clean install of ToEE. I tried shutting off some background programs... it wasn't my anti-virus protection, so I started shutting down other running processes that I didn't recognize. After several scary crashes, I decided not to muck around with those processes and just do the clean install. I will post back here about how that went. I believe where I probably went off base was when I extracted the files from the cumulative 5.0.1 rar... probably extracted them to the wrong folder.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

6. Shellhead

Shellhead Member

I don't think that's the problem, because I was able to successfully launch the front-end right after I installed it. In fact, I just did it again as the latest step in my rebuild from scratch. I created that 300mb file again and booted up into the Cof8 module. When I get home from work, I'm going to give 5.0.1 another try, and try to be more careful this time about which folder I extract the files into. If it doesn't work, I will start over again and download Net2.0 per your advice.

7. Shellhead

Shellhead Member

I tried extracting 5.0.1 files, but it seems that I'm still not grasping which specific folder(s) to extract to. This time, I extracted the two main folders to the matching folder names under Cof8 5.0.0, but when I went to bring up the front-end again, I saw no indication that it was now running 5.0.1. Having brought the game up successfully, I was too impatient to mess with the portrait and voice pack and decided to just start up a fresh game immediately. Everything ran great.

8. Zebedee

As I said earlier, load up the v5 module and then exit the game. Then extract the v5.01 to your ToEE folder. This is the folder inside your Atari folder.

The indication that you are running v5.01 will be whether or not the fixes in it appear in your game. It is a cumulative fix pack and will not change the version number on the main game menu nor will it create another module as it is (as indicated by the .01) just an add-on to the v5 module.

If you run into problems, reinstall. If you do not notice any of the v5.01 fixes being present but the v5 game is fine, please follow the instructions as you've probably installed the v5.01 fixes to the vanilla game module (which may or may not freak it out) and not to the v5 module.

9. Shellhead

Shellhead Member

Ah. I was going inside the overall ToEE folder and extracting those files into subolders within the main ToEE folder. I will try again tonight... the timing is good because my whole party got killed in the Moathouse so I don't have an active game right now.

Btw, that bandit leader did 55 points of damage with a single critical hit on Elmo! Sure, he had the whole barbarian rage thing going, but that damage seemed excessive. Did one of the changes make him more brutal?

10. Shellhead

Shellhead Member

So, I properly extracted the 5.01 RAR files into the ToEE folder, judging by the way those files were overwriting older, smaller files. Then I opened up the game through the front-end. Everything was working fine. I put together a Lawful Neutral party okay, and then started up the adventure. After the introductory narrative statement and the view of the location, the game Crashed To Desktop before I got any dialogue options. Tried it again, CTD at the exact same spot. I'm going to uninstall everything and re-install up to 5.0 and just stick with that for now, I've been reading about the bugs of 5.01 and just want to play the game without major hassles at this time.

11. Zebedee

What bugs in v5.01? :confused: It's a cumulative fixpack.

Your problem has been that you have been writing files all over the place. I've no idea where you've been extracting things to. Did you read the OP of the cumulative fixpack thread? Did you delete the .pyc files?

But perhaps it is safer for you to stick just with the v5 for the moment until you are a little more confident in following the instructions :)

Our Host!