help our buddy screeg

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by krunch, Feb 4, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@screeg: You said..
    1. When do you get the C++ RLE error message?
    * while installing the Atari Patch?
    ** when starting ToEE after running the patch?
    *** at the same time or at different times when ToEE loads?

2. Have you tried copying the both the Install and Play CD disks to the hard drive and you have installed the game from the hard drive?

3. Have you tried downloading a new copy of the two Atari Patches?
    * Have you tried using a different website to download the Atari patches?
    (download from Atari the ToEE patch1 and ToEE patch2)

4. I take it from what you wrote that you have tried installing both of the Atari patches and installing Patch1 followed by installing Patch2 does not help?

5. Do you have the Direct2Drive version or other downloaded version that does not come on a CD disk?
    * (in this particular case) have you tried Drifters patch?

6. Do you use any obtrusive software like Norton Internet Security, especially one of their older versions?

7. Do you use a CD disk emulator that tries to implement virtual space for a CD drive and CD disk?

Please let us know.
    -krunch

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Where are you at, screeg?

3. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

I am here, and I fully endorse the Title line of this thread.

I discovered something in Add/Remove Programs: Microsoft C++ Redistributable is listed as being installed twice! That was before coming to work this morning, so I'll uninstall both versions tonight, reinstall it and see if I get any results that way.

If not, suggestions number 2 and 5 might be worth a try. I'll post again in any case.

Thanks!

4. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

All right. Reinstalling MS C++ etc. made no difference.

1. I get the message when loading up TOEE, post patch 1.2, always right after clicking the .exe.

2. Haven't tried this yet.

3. Tried this.

4. Ditto.

5. What is Drifter's patch and what is it supposed to fix? Saw it referenced, vaguely, in one thread.

6. I do have Norton's, but it's up to date. I disabled it when reinstalling MS C++ etc., and when trying TOEE.exe. No difference.

7. No.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@screeg: Check your PM messages.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sorry to butt in here, but what's the point of creating this thread in the first place if you're now going to move the discussion over to 'private message messages?'

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I asked him something. It's not a move thing.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Okay, screeg is up-and-running with playing ToEE. Since his game has never worked at all - would never even start, I had him try the no-cd patch. That resolved it.

9. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

Thanks to everyone who tried to help with this stunningly simple problem.

I'm rock-n-rolling now and will be able to contribute to bugtesting, etc.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Umm, out of curiosity, what was the problem exactly and the solution that fixed it? It may be of some use to future players who experience the same problems.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

He installs the default ToEE game and, after that, he applies the Atari Patch2 (or Patch1 followed by Patch2, does not matter). Then, he double-clicks ToEE.exe to start the program. Instead of the ToEE game starting, Windows generates a Microsoft C++ Runtime Library Error (always happens). The issue is not ToEEFE, not dotNET, and not any Co8 files. These files are not installed. The issue is ToEE.exe will not run when executed (after being patched with the Atari patches). The fix is to use the no-cd patch to replace the ToEE.exe with the no-cd version of the ToEE.exe.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  12. whodat

whodat Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but new to all of this

I've installed TOEE (from CD) into my new VAIO and actually has been working pretty well - fewer crashes than I recall when playing it 3-4 years back. Then got halfway through the game and I found that it was crashing without exception when I tried to move on the World Map.

So, I belatedly checked out the patches - and having installed patches 1 & 2 (not 3 as I plan to try this Co8 stuff that I've just now stumbled upon)

And I get the same runtime C++ error as Screeg seems to have had. The cursor changes into a disc icon and I can't open the CD.

So, if I have this all right, how do I get the "no cd" .exe file to swap with my curently installed one?

thanks in advance,
    James

13. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Google for "Temple of Elemental Evil Version 2 No-CD patch" - you should find what you need pretty easily.

We can't link you to the no-cd directly due to the grey legal status of the cracked .exe.

14. whodat

whodat Member

Thanks - managed to figure out what people were referring to after a while - working fine now

Our Host!